Senior Child Development Specialist
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 1/8/2018
The Child Development Center at West Valley College is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Senior Child Development Specialist. A second opening is anticipated.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
The purpose of this position is to create, plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum in a play-based learning environment for a multi-aged preschool group emphasizing the outdoor classroom project philosophy; establish and maintain working partnerships with parents, families and students to perform duties requiring in-depth knowledge of early childhood education and development; provide mentoring and oversight of practicum students; complete administrative duties necessary to implement a quality preschool program.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of February 26, 2018. A second opening is anticipated in addition to this one. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,112–$4,471 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 53, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in early childhood education or a related field.
3. Two years of responsible journey experience similar to Child Development Specialist with the West Valley-Mission Community College District.
License and Certificate
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California Child Development Master Teacher Permit.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid First Aid and CPR certificate issued by the American Red Cross, Heart Association, or other authorized agency.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop developmentally appropriate curriculum and implement play and varied learning experiences for children in a multi-age preschool classroom environment; mentor and model to, review and assess the work of practicum students.
- Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Interact with children assisting them with developing problem solving and other skills , creating opportunities for safe risks and the family or parent or caregiver child separation process ; contribute to the child’s social and emotional development; create a climate of respect for each child.
- Mentor, oversee, and participate in evaluating the activities of staff , teaching assistants and practicum students, recommending improvements and modifications.
- Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Attend meetings; and maintain a variety of accurate records.
- Perform the most difficult work related to curriculum development, and observation and assessment of children and of student teachers.
- Conduct assessments and maintain developmental profiles of each child; communicate regularly with parents and families regarding children’s development and program experiences.
- Maintain a safe, orderly classroom including adjacent indoor and outdoor areas; report any safety hazards or injuries in the center; follow health and safety standards and other regulations and requirements for food handling, toileting of young children, hand washing, and universal precautions with exposure to blood.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please apply as included above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...