Biological Sciences Full-Time Instructor (Anatomy & Physiology Emphasis)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 1/31/2018
The Math & Science Division at Mission College is now accepting applications for a full time, tenure-track instructor who shares our excitement for teaching and our commitment to excellence in the lower division education of both majors and non-majors. We are looking for someone who will help our department grow and advance by using innovative instructional and delivery methods and exploring interdisciplinary approaches linking the Sciences with Technology, Engineering and Math. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
Mission College serves a region of the San Francisco Bay area that includes urban neighborhoods, business centers and residential communities. Nestled in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Mission College enjoys an entrepreneurial and innovative energy supplied by its closest technology and business neighbors, while continuing to maintain its quality curriculum offerings for transfer and under-prepared students. Applicants interested in teaching within an energetic student centered culture that looks to the future would find Mission College a perfect fit.
This is a full-time 10-month tenure track position that begins in Fall 2018. Instructional assignments may include day and/or evening classes, Monday through Saturday, as needed and rotate among the Biological Sciences faculty. Assignments include courses in Anatomy, Physiology, and Human Biology. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education Ė Possess one of the following:
- Masterís degree in any biological science (including but not limited to Biology, Anatomy, Organismal Biology, Kinesiology, Integrative Animal Biology, Zoology): OR
- Bachelorís degree in any biological science AND masterís degree in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science; OR
- Possess a valid California Community College Instructorís Credential in biological sciences; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments consist of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in-class activities, evaluation of studentsí work, consultation with students outside of class, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming to state requirements and stated District and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports such as attendance, grade reports, rosters and class schedules.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the appropriate instruction offices.
- Maintain office hours each week, at 3 hours per week.
- Complete 78.75 hours of institutional responsibilities per semester. Examples of institutional responsibilities include assisting the department chair in curriculum development, serving on division, college and district committees as necessary to maintain and improve the instructional program; and participating in appropriate professional development activities.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the beginning of the course, as per instructions in the Faculty Handbook.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the memberís area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Work effectively with campus programs that promote student retention and success in STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741Ė2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...