Vice President of Advancement
Utah State University
Open Date: 08/01/2017
Review Date: 09/15/2017
Job Category: Administrative
Location: Logan Campus
Posting Duration: Open Until Filled
The University seeks a creative, visionary leader and professional for this position who will engage staff and stakeholders in meaningful interactions that foster pride, advocacy, and support for Utah State University.
The selected applicant will be responsible for developing a new university-wide comprehensive campaign building off the very successful conclusion of the past $500M campaign.
The new Vice President of Advancement will have a number of key leadership positions within the Advancement unit to fill and will have the opportunity to establish a new vision and plan for advancement programs of the university. The Vice President will be responsible for building genuine, trust-based relationships, both internally and externally.
Working closely and cooperatively with college deans and development officers will be a key expectation of this leader. An important expectation of the position will be to significantly expand Utah State University's donor base.
Utah State University values trust, transparency, and hard work in a fully integrated advancement model (development and alumni relations working in an integrated effort), with an open cultivation of potential donors. The Advancement unit is constituency-based, with strong University-wide support services and strategy including the annual philanthropy and analytics programs.
University Advancement is committed to creating an environment of inclusiveness where every person feels welcomed and valued.
- Lead and manage advancement staff and programs of the university - including personnel, budgeting, and strategic planning.
- Oversee, along with the director of alumni relations, expansion of alumni connectivity with the university.
- Work cooperatively with other vice presidents and deans to establish a vision and plan for advancement activities and programs across the university.
- Design and execute the next comprehensive campaign of the university.
- Coordinate alumni relations across the university including college deans, athletics, development officers, department heads, faculty, staff and students.
- Where appropriate, redesign and modernize operations of advancement and work with the director of alumni relations to reflect best practices and proven methods.
- Establish new training programs to support new and seasoned development officers of the university.
- Revise and energize a stewardship program and the annual giving program to support donors to the university.
- On behalf of the President, manage and engage the Foundation Board of the University.
- Review and possibly revive a university-wide Advancement Advisory Council that creates a broad-based coalition of guidance for advancement and alumni relations program planning.
- Master's Degree required.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in advancement and/or alumni relations with participating experience in a major capital campaign in a university environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of a comprehensive advancement and alumni relations program.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to lead and manage annual giving programs, planned giving programs, corporate and foundation outreach programs and major gift fundraising.
- Skills and ability to hire, train, supervise and inspire professional advancement staff.
- A proven track record of successfully closing on major gifts.
- Exceptional communications skills and an ability to work collaboratively with other leaders of the university to establish an inclusive vision and plan.
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior level university administrators and to effectively and efficiently over see a large complex staff and unit budget.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an institution where shared governance is valued.
- Demonstrated experience in honoring the core values of integrity, honesty, inclusivity, and passion.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate data-driven decision making into planning and execution of programs and activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Land-grant University and as well as the ability to absorb and partner with the unique culture of an institution, its surrounding community, and supporters.
- Advanced degree preferred.
Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should include a statement of interest, a list of five (5) references and a resume/curriculum vita. Your references will be sent an email from USU, asking them to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Applicants and nominations will be kept confidential until campus interviews are scheduled.
For optimum consideration, applications should be submitted on or before September 15, 2017. The position will remain open until filled. All applicants will be expected to reserve time from October 9, 2017 thru October 13, 2017, for possible video interviews. Also, all applicants will be expected to reserve time from Sunday, November 5 thru Saturday, November 11, 2017, for possible on-campus interviews with arrival for evening dinner, followed by a full day of interviewing and departure the next morning.
Opportunity Type: Full-Time w/benefits package
Percent of Time or Hours per Week: 40 hrs/week
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with experience and excellent benefits
See http://usu.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=2671 for more information and to apply online.
Employment in this position is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. Utah State University is an AA/EO Employer and encourages gender and ethnic diversity.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Utah State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com