Executive Director Student Union
University of Illinois at Springfield, Student Affairs Division
The new UIS Student Union will be the social heart of campus for students. In this signature building, so full of light and activity, students will interact with each other and with faculty, staff, and visitors, creating a vibrant and thriving focal point for life at UIS.
The University of Illinois Springfield is seeking an Executive Director of Student Union to help us with this very exciting new addition to our campus. The new Executive Director will create polies and procedures as well as be involved in the construction and selection of furniture, fixtures and equipment.
Job Description: University of Illinois Springfield Student Union Executive Director
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Services, the University Of Illinois Springfield Student Union Executive Director oversees the total operation of the Union including Student Life and Volunteer and Civic Engagement Offices, responsible for the direction and determination of goals, objectives, and the means to achieve these goals by management of services, planning of budgets, and serving on various committees.
Also including responsibilities for publications, reports, and working with students, alumni (ae), and the public on event planning/special events.
This position serves as the primary communication link between the union and other campus departments and the community.
This position will also represent the university as a member of the Association of College Unions International.
Duties and responsibilities of the University of Illinois Springfield Student Union Executive Director include:
- Directs the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the UIS Student Union.
- Maintains annual budget and applies fiscal and budgetary planning techniques within financial constraints. Monitors all purchasing decisions.
- Coordinates and schedules space allocation for the Student Union including vendor/s approval.
- Works closely with all union entities in building an inclusive campus community through social, cultural, educational programs and activities.
- Supervises, hires, trains, and evaluates professional staff, civil service, and student employees.
- Directs and monitors all major maintenance or renovation projects.
- Establish operating policies and procedures consistent with University policies and regulation including state and federal law.
- Directs strategic planning efforts for the union.
- Serves on Student Affairs and University of Illinois Springfield committees as required.
- Maintains and creates relationships with external entities including vendors/operations.
- Performs other duties and additional responsibilities as assigned.
A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Higher Education, or other appropriate discipline is required.
Doctoral Degree preferred.
Minimum qualifications include ten years of progressive experience.
A minimum of five years in an upper level administrative position in a comparable student affairs unit which includes five years of experience in the operation of a student union in a higher education institution.
A demonstrated ability to lead and direct a medium size complex organization which provides programs and services that are essential to the student, staff, and faculty community; an understanding of how the union functions as a part of Student Affairs and the University at –large; and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituent groups.
Application Process: Online applications are accepted at https://jobs/uis.edu
Submit official graduate transcripts, resume, a letter of application describing qualifications and experience, and list of 3 – 5 references (with phone number & email addresses).
Screening of applications begins April 25, 2017 and will continue until position is filled.
The University of Illinois Springfield is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Illinois at Springfield and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com