Head of Institute of Textiles and Clothing
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong with a total student headcount of about 30,000. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master's and Bachelor's degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,300. The total consolidated expenditure budget of the University is close to HK$7 billion (US$900 million) per year. Committed to academic excellence in a professional context, PolyU aspires to become a world-class university with an emphasis on the application value of its programmes and research. Its vision is to become a leading university that excels in professional education, applied research and partnership for the betterment of Hong Kong, the nation and the world.
INSTITUTE OF TEXTILES AND CLOTHING
Head of Institute of Textiles and Clothing
The Institute of Textiles and Clothing is a constituent unit of the Faculty of Applied Science and Textiles, the pioneer of tertiary education in textiles and clothing in Hong Kong and the leading centre for education and research in the textile and clothing field in the region. Its major disciplines include Fashion Business, Fashion and Textile Design, and Fashion and Textile Technology. The mission of the Institute is to serve the Hong Kong community through the provision of quality educational programmes, research, consultancy and professional services in fashion and textiles. The activities are anticipated to extend to neighbouring regions and the international arena. The Institute is home to a wide range of academic programmes covering subject disciplines from fashion and textile technology, fashion and textile design, fashion and textile marketing and merchandising, to fashion retailing and distribution. These programmes are offered at various levels up to Doctoral degree in full-time and part-time learning modes. Currently, there are 61 full-time academics in the above subject disciplines. The Institute is also a vibrant research department with a large number of research personnel and research students. Please visit the website at http://www.itc.polyu.edu.hk/ for more information about the Institute.
The University is now inviting applications and nominations for the post of Head of Institute of Textiles and Clothing. The successful candidate will be appointed as Chair Professor/Professor, commensurate with his/her qualifications and experience, and hold a concurrent headship appointment. The headship appointment is normally for an aggregate period of six years in two three-year terms of office. Other suitable candidates, if deemed appropriate by the University, may be appointed as Chair Professor/ Professor.
The position calls for a visionary academic leader with responsibilities of ensuring the smooth and successful operation and sustainable development of the Institute. Reporting directly to the Dean of Faculty, the appointee will be required to:
- provide effective leadership in the development of long-term strategies and plans of the Institute, in alignment with the University's Strategic Plan, and provide leadership, coaching and support to all staff members in the Institute in pursuit of planned objectives in a high-quality standard and a cost-effective manner;
- ensure high-quality teaching as well as the holistic development of students, and align the Institute’s programmes with the needs of the community;
- facilitate the conduct of innovative and original research of high quality and impact, contribute to knowledge transfer, and promote and develop genuine cross-disciplinary/departmental research with optimal use of research funds;
- enhance local and international networks of partnerships and linkages with the community, particularly the professional, public and business sectors, so as to gain their support for the major strategic initiatives of the University;
- ensure effective internal communication that leads to transparent decision-making, and promote the Institute’s education and other services to target customers, community leaders, and stakeholders;
- ensure optimal deployment of human, financial and other resources in the Institute;
- implement an effective mechanism to acquire donations and other forms of sponsorship to support the University's pursuits and long-term development; and
- undertake other responsibilities and tasks as may be assigned by the Dean of Faculty or the President’s designate from time to time.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Terms of appointment and remuneration package are negotiable and highly competitive. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm.
Applicants should have:
- academic qualifications at doctoral level in a relevant academic discipline and possess relevant professional qualifications, evidence of eminent scholarship and substantial relevant experience in a senior academic position;
- the attainment of an academic rank of full professor or above at an internationally recognised university;
- an international reputation in research and scholarship, and demonstrated leadership in his/her own areas of research;
- a strong record in attracting research funding and excellence in research outputs;
- a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching;
- a global perspective, proven qualities of leadership, substantial administration/management experience, and the ability to work with faculty members of various disciplines and with different cultural backgrounds;
- effective interpersonal, communication, and resources management skills, and excellent adaptability to changes and challenges;
- a strong international network of partnerships and linkages with the community and professional and public sectors; and
- good knowledge of global and local higher educational environment.
Experience in fundraising will be an additional advantage.
Applicants are invited to send detailed curriculum vitae with names and addresses of three referees and direct any enquiries to the Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong [Fax: (852) 2764 3374; E-mail: email@example.com], quoting the position being applied for and the reference number.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Initial consideration of applications will commence in July 2017.Candidature may be obtained by nomination.
The University reserves the right to make an appointment by invitation and not to fill the post.
General information about the University is available on the University's Homepage http://www.polyu.edu.hk or from the Human Resources Office [Tel: (852) 2766 5290].
Details of the University's Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com