Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
New Mexico State University
Founded in 1888, NMSU is a land-grant institution and a comprehensive research institution of higher education. Our institution is dedicated to teaching, research and public service, and outreach. A Hispanic-serving institution, NMSU serves a multi-cultural population of students and community members.
The College of Arts & Sciences is home to 24 academic departments, 2 ROTC programs and over 6,000 students who are majoring in A & S programs.
The Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost and is responsible for the development, administration and promotion of the College and its programs, ensuring high quality instruction in an inclusive and engaging learning environment.
The ideal candidate would provide leadership to its diverse faculty, staff, students and colleagues in the areas of teaching/learning, research, scholarly activities, service and outreach.
Candidates must demonstrate their proven ability to innovate and apply leadership and management skills to problem solving.
Applicants are expected to have direct knowledge of higher education practices and trends, including but not limited to curriculum and instruction, shared governance, faculty evaluation, budgeting and strategic planning.
Candidates must demonstrate effectiveness in program development, review and revision as well as the ability to communicate orally and in writing with diverse constituencies.
Required Education and Experience:
- A terminal degree in a discipline typically associated with a College of Arts and Sciences, and scholarly achievements that would merit appointment at a tenured full professor level. Five (5) years of related experience.
Special Requirements of the Position:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with national, regional and professional accreditation processes.
- Familiarity with current trends in higher education and service as an advocate for faculty development and academic advancement.
- Knowledge of higher education practices and trends, including but not limited to curriculum and instruction, shared governance, faculty evaluation, budgeting and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in program development, review and revision. Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing with diverse constituencies.
- A commitment to supporting first-generation students, and students from diverse backgrounds, and guiding their educational experience.
- A commitment to supporting international students and guiding their educational experience.
- Experience in fostering strong connections between internal and external constituencies and creating meaningful connections.
- Personal qualities to include: integrity, good judgment, creativity, open mindedness, and being an attentive listener. Commitment to academic freedom.
- Experience in raising external funds via grants, partnerships, and cultivation of private donors.
A full description of the position as well as details for applicants can be found at: https://webcomm.nmsu.edu/hire/dean-college-of-arts-and-sciences/
For a direct link to the application: http://jobs.nmsu.edu/postings/27105
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at New Mexico State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com