Professor and Department Chair,
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of Miami
The College of Engineering at the University of Miami (UM in Coral Gables, FL) invites applications and nominations for the Professor and Department Chair position in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE).
The University of Miami consistently ranks among the nation’s top universities and has recently been infused with an extraordinary gift of $100M targeted at engineering and sciences.
The new department chair will be presented with an unusual opportunity to define strategic directions and significantly grow the MAE department by leveraging tremendous internal opportunities, as well as building on its strengths, which include:
• Excellent, innovative, ABET-accredited undergraduate programs;
• MS and PhD programs, which have very high-quality graduate students and can be quickly expanded;
• Eleven tenured/tenure-track faculty with recognized expertise across four areas:
1. Novel Materials and Applied Mechanics (spanning biomedical, aerospace, energy, and environmental applications)
2. Clean Energy and Sustainability
3. Green Aviation and Aerospace systems
4. Simulation-Based Engineering
• Unique geographical location providing a gateway to the Americas and providing opportunities for innovative education and research programs;
• Opportunities to hire new faculty talents through college-wide cluster-hire initiatives;
• Opportunities to strengthen and develop collaborations with world-class researchers and educators at the University of Miami, including the Miller School of Medicine and the Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science;
• Newly formed state-of-the-art “Makerspace” research and teaching facility supported by a major medical devices company;
• Growing network, emphasis and infrastructure to support and promote entrepreneurship, innovation and commercialization for faculty and students.
Applicants must have an outstanding record of research accomplishments, evidence of leadership and vision, and a strong interest in undergraduate and graduate teaching in mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Applicants must have an earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or in a related field.
In addition to maintaining his/her research portfolio, the candidate will provide departmental leadership that cultivates excellence in teaching, research, innovation and service; will develop strategic collaborations with colleagues across Colleges and Schools; and will promote the department to reach new levels of excellence.
The candidate will serve as an advocate for the department, college, university and community.
Responsibilities of this position will include fostering faculty, staff and student development; assessing student learning, developing new degree offerings that meet the needs of the community and industry; strengthening the role of the department and the college in the innovation and commercialization ecosystem, strategic planning and other department related management duties.
Initial screening of applications will begin immediately with an expected starting date of August 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications include curriculum vitae, a statement of educational and administrative philosophy, and the names, phone number and email addresses of three references should be uploaded through the web portal at http://coe.miami.edu/facultyopenings.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Miami and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
The University of miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal Law.