Full-Time Faculty, Drawing/Composition
Otis College of Art and Design
Otis College of Art and Design, established in 1918, has been a national leader in art and design education for nearly 100 years. The College mission is to prepare diverse students of art and design to enrich our world through their creativity, their skill and their vision. Currently serving approximately 1,100 full]time students, Otis College awards the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 11 majors and the Master of Fine Arts degree in 4 majors. The College is located on three campus sites: the main Goldsmith Campus in West Los Angeles, near Marina del Rey and the Los Angeles International Airport; the Graduate Fine Arts Campus, located in Culver City, and the Graduate Public Practice Studios, centered in the 18th Street Arts Center complex in Santa Monica.
Otis College of Art and Design is accepting applications for a full-time faculty appointment in the Foundation program. This position is responsible for teaching first]year art and design fundamentals in the areas of drawing as related to composition, three dimensional form, perspective, light and shadow, and use of line. Primary course assignments to include first semester Drawing Form and second semester Drawing Studio. This faculty position reports to the Chair of Foundation and the Area Head for Drawing. Otis offers competitive compensation and benefits. Initial placement in rank is recommended by the Search Committee and requires review and approval of the Chair of the Rank & Promotion Committee and the Provost. The College does not grant faculty tenure; this is a renewable full-time faculty appointment subject to annual renewal based on a performance review. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2017.
The Foundation program provides immersive learning for studentsf development of skills that are fundamental to all visual arts and the construction of meaning. Learning outcomes include myriad fundamental skills, critical thinking, visual quality, professionalism, inventiveness, and awareness of social responsibility. For more information about programs offered in Foundation and Fine Arts at Otis College of Art and Design, visit our websites: http://www.otis.edu/foundation.
- Teach a minimum of 18 contact hours per week (studio faculty)
- Provide a minimum of 6 hours on average per week in service to the department and/or the College (i.e., serving on college]wide committees, attending faculty meetings and area reviews) as assigned by the Chair
- Mentor students in assigned classes including student advisement and counseling of at-risk students
- Provide guidance and direction to Classroom Assistants, as needed
- Help compose and set up large still life and related teaching displays
- Participate in administrative duties such as documentation of student attendance,
- Syllabus preparation, responsiveness to department and College direction, and submission of final grades in a timely manner
- Enhance the visibility of the department through participation in on] and off-campus events
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chair. Must be responsive to work-related phone calls during non-business hours on occasion.
- BA or BFA degree in art/design required
- Professional standing as a practicing/exhibiting artist
- Documented teaching effectiveness in the field of Foundation art/design studies
- Demonstrated ability to teach first-year art and design fundamentals: perspective and conventional observation drawing skills, both interior and landscape subjects
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of drawing in contemporary art and design fields
- Demonstrated ability to teach a variety of media
- Experience in teaching composition, using formal visual choices to produce drawings on the full continuum from highly representational to full abstraction
- Able to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body as part of a team of professional artists/educators
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- MFA degree preferred.
- At least 5 years college-level teaching experience in Foundation and lower division drawing/painting courses in an accredited college preferred.
- Experience in teaching either Life Drawing or 3-D design preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a successful course of study.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via Otis' website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com