Graduate Academic Advisor - School of Nursing
General Statement of Duties
This administrative position includes the coordination and implementation of graduate academic advisement activities and services for the School of Nursing. The incumbent will participate in the planning, development, implementation and assessment of the advisement processes designed to ensure degree completion for nursing students at D'Youville College. The incumbent will consult with and coordinate with other areas of the college in order to provide appropriate advisement, information, and support for D'Youville CoIIege students, faculty, and staff. The academic advisor reports to the Student Affairs Coordinator.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
- Assist in all areas of Graduate Orientation.
- Develop a working knowledge of curriculum expectations of the masters and doctoral programs of the School of Nursing.
- Develop program pursuit plans for and with students that fit the capabilities of the student and provide
a reasonable expectation of time to degree completion, taking into consideration each student's unique characteristics, abilities and needs.
- Ability to advise students from initial enrollment including students whose faculty advisor is not
- Monitor student progress and establish action plans.
- Review data and evaluate outcomes in order to assist in the planning process.
- Participate in and prepare for the School of Nursing Admissions, Progression and Retention Committee
that meets at the end of each semester and summer term.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Examples of Duties (illustrative only)
- Provide individual academic advisement for students in masters and doctoral level graduate programs
of the School of Nursing.
- Assess and have familiarity with data collection and record-keeping programs.
- Participate in the creation and updating of advisement forms, procedures and information as needed.
- Maintain individual student advisement records and files as appropriate.
- Coordinate with support services to address course scheduling needs and related matters.
- Serve as liaison with other college areas as assigned.
- Participate at appropriate college venues such as final registration.
- Participate in appropriate admissions functions from the inquiry level through enrollment.
- Maintain professional communication with advisees.
- Appropriate attire is expected.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships especially with areas critical to student retention
e.g. the Learning Center, Connections and Career Services Center as examples.
- Willingness to assist colleagues.
- Participate in required School of Nursing and campus meetings.
- Prepare for special events as assigned.
- Complete training sessions as required by the college.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with post-secondary educational programs
- Knowledge of academic policies and procedures
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills .
- Ability to interact and establish good interpersonal relationships with students, faculty, administrators,
staff, the Chair, the Dean, and the public
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn software used on campus
- Strong organizational skills
- Meet timelines
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with other offices in the college community
Acceptable Training and Experience
Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred or equivalent experience in higher education or a related
D'Youville provides equality of opportunity to all persons in respect to employment and to admission of students. D'Youville does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, hiring policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com