Administrative Assistant, Office of Student Equity & Success
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 7/19/2018
The Office of Student Equity & Success is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Administrative Assistant to the Dean.
Student Equity and Success functions to ensure greater access to students from historically marginalized backgrounds, build communities across campus, and foster an inclusive and equitable campus environment. The Administrative Assistant will support the Dean in executing the logistics related to hosting cultural celebrations, conducting diversity and equity training, and supporting programs and departments related that report to Student Equity and Success.
West Valley College is dedicated to the continuous improvement of student life and success. The college has among the best transfer and success rates in California. Additionally, the college is set on 143 wooded acres that makes the college feel like home for our students.
We seek energetic, student-centered applicants who want to help the college cultivate a diverse and inclusive community.
80% of full time, 30 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of September 10, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,273–$4,667 monthly (salary shown is prorated for 80% of full-time, WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 63, Steps A-C).
- Salary shown includes 5% increase to be effective July 1, 2018.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents (prorated for employees working less than 100% of full-time).
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually. (prorated for employees working less than 100% and 12 months).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually (prorated for employees working less than 100% and 12 months).
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $45 to $225 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform a wide variety of complex, responsible, and confidential administrative and secretarial duties for the Dean; research and analyze routine administrative projects; prepare first draft reports on administrative matters.
- Establish and coordinate office activities and schedules; establish methods for office operations; implement office policies and procedures; develop and recommend office procedures and systems; ensure smooth office operations.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- Participate and assist in the development and administration of an assigned budget; prepare budget reports; compile annual budget requests; track, monitor and control expenditures; coordinate related budgets; assure expenditures from categorical funds comply with applicable regulations.
- Research, compile, and analyze background data; perform routine and special administrative activities and projects; prepare independent draft reports and documentation; maintain records and files regarding administrative activities; prepare agendas for a variety of meetings, committees, and groups.
- Coordinate and implement assigned program activities of an operational area of assignment; prepare status reports and documents related to program activities.
- Review, verify, and process documents related to administrative and program activities such as invoices, contracts, grants, certificates, claims, legislation and other specialized documents; verify eligibility requirements and coordinate with outside agencies.
- Provide follow up to assignments given to management and/or operations staff by an the Dean; provide status reports to the Dean; assist in coordinating, preparing, and producing staff reports.
- Facilitate communications between the Dean, other administrators, students, academic staff, and other offices, educational institutions or public agencies.
- Order and purchase supplies for administrative operations; perform accounting functions related to ordering supplies, equipment, and services; make budget transfers as appropriate.
- Maintain time card and payroll records; maintain administrative files and records for personnel including employee evaluations and disciplinary actions.
- May provide technical and functional oversight of assigned clerical staff; plan, prioritize, assign and review the work of staff involved in providing administrative support.
- May receive, process and document cash receipts using district cash handling policies and procedures.
- Respond to letters and general correspondence not requiring the attention of management staff.
- Receive and distribute incoming mail and email; review and evaluate mail and email to identify those items requiring priority attention; receive telephone calls including complaints, and provide assistance to callers using judgment as to calls requiring priority attention.
- Interpret and explain district and organizational policies, rules and regulations in response to inquiries; refer inquiries as appropriate; assist in developing department policies and procedures in order to meet department objectives.
- Coordinate and make travel arrangements; maintain appointment schedules and calendars; arrange meetings and conferences.
- Provide administrative support for assigned task forces, committees, commissions and boards, including taking meeting minutes; review and summarize miscellaneous reports and documents; prepare background documents as necessary.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, supplemented with college level courses in business or accounting.
3. Two years of responsible office administrative support experience, preferably in an educational environment, or two years of experience similar to an Office Coordinator with the West Valley-Mission Community College District.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Princeton University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...