Instructional Technician, Biology
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 7/19/2018
The Biology Department is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Instructional Technician.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under direction of an assigned supervisor, operate an instructional science laboratory stockroom and maintain equipment, tools, materials and supplies; maintain records and inventories of supplies and materials, coordinate with vendors, order and receive supplies; preparation, set up and clean-up of laboratory course materials and equipment; facilitate student learning by providing assistance to faculty and students; select, hire, train, coordinate and supervise student assistants to work in science laboratories and storerooms. Candidate is expected to develop and complete ongoing projects to proactively improve laboratory operations. All assigned tasks will be carried out in collaboration with other instructional technicians, faculty, and staff.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of September 10, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Biology Department, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,596–$5,001 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 56, Steps A-C).
- Salary shown includes 5% increase to take effect July 1, 2018.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $45 to $225 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare materials and set up student biology labs according to prescribed schedule; clean and decontaminate after each lab.
- Set up, operate, and demonstrate the use of specialized equipment, instruments and apparatus in a community college biology laboratory; perform minor repairs to equipment as needed.
- Curate bacteriological and viral cultures used in lab experiments; assure proper developmental stage of microorganisms for specific labs.
- Perform animal husbandry functions including care of, feeding, and maintenance of various life forms and plants for biology labs.
- Maintain a clean, neat, and safe lab environment.
- Communicate with faculty regarding lab operations and equipment.
- Order, receive, store, and inventory equipment, supplies, materials, and consumables for lab experiments; prepare purchase requests for new equipment and supplies; track and monitor equipment checkout; issue and distribute instructional materials for faculty and student use in biology labs.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records, logs, and files related to equipment and supply inventory and purchase.
- Dispose of hazardous waste and biohazard materials in accordance with federal, state, and district laws and guidelines; maintain required documentation regarding the purchase, storage, and disposal of known pathogenic organisms; participate in required training for hazardous materials generators.
- Recruit, train, and direct student assistants; schedule, assign, and review student assistant work; prepare and maintain a variety of records and files related to student assistant schedules and timesheets.
- Test, inspect, and maintain equipment and instruments; determine whether repairs can be done in-house; coordinate equipment repairs through outside vendors.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in biological sciences or a related field.
3. Two years of responsible experience in the biological disciplines.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...