Learning Enhancement & Academic Development Learning Skills Specialist
Western University of Health Sciences
Under the direct supervision of the LEAD Director, the Learning Skills Specialist will counsel students in learning and study skills, time management and test taking and effectively advise students in the development of appropriate academic skills for professional school, according to the LEAD counseling model. In addition, the candidate will integrate stress management, mindfulness, concentration and well-being strategies and skills into each academic counseling session. Under the supervision of the Associate Director, the candidate will take an active role of managing Tutorial Assistance Program (TAP) data for the Lebanon campus. This would include: accurate collecting, entering, and organizing tutor timesheets, tutoring group attendance logs, and tutoring hours in an electronic database in a timely manner, in order to create internal reports as needed. The candidate will assist the Director and Associate Director in day-to-day operations of the LEAD office. The incumbent in this position possesses a minimum of 3 years of experience as an academic counselor, instructor, or a similar position in an academic setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
The candidate must be adept at and comfortable working as a team player and exhibit a strong, collaborative spirit, and flexibility to easily and effectively adjust into the LEAD team culture within a short period of time.
The incumbent must be able to work autonomously and productively. This includes the effective management of time, collection of data, and completion of tasks/projects with diverse floating deadlines, in a high paced environment.
The candidate must be experienced in working in an academic environment with students under performance pressure. This includes a proven background of addressing and handling student-related crisis and/or stress management, including the knowledge of available techniques or resources to assist students in developing mindfulness, well-being, and coping strategies.
The candidate must demonstrate strong presentation and facilitation skills. This includes a solid background in public speaking, group and/or workshop facilitation and audience engagement/interaction. The candidate is expected to be able to take a topic and execute it from concept into implementation in the form of a creative, engaging and interactive presentation, workshop, seminar, or lecture. The requisite skill set includes the ability to do the actual presentation of the material, creation of PowerPoint or handouts, logistical organization of the event and marketing of the event across campus.
The incumbent must demonstrate excellent computer skills and the ability to proficiently use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher. The candidate must have a clear mastery of the utilizing the Internet in relation to their role.
The candidate must be self-directed and have the ability to effectively and efficiently learn the WesternU culture, as well as gain knowledge about all academic programs. The candidate is expected to learn the nuances of the University and the individual colleges, including the curriculum, and translate that knowledge in a meaningful manner during counseling session with students.
List comments regarding work hours
40 hours per week: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri.
Working hours may include some nights and weekends
Essential Job Duties
- Effectively assist the LEAD team in enhancing the academic performance of WesternU students through individual and group counseling sessions. Candidate must be able to effectively monitor academic performance of various students and offer each student appropriate theory-based academic and emotional intelligence skills training and strategies based on their academic status and/or needs, as per LEAD guidelines.
- Under the supervision of the Associate Director, the candidate will take an active role of managing Tutorial Assistance Program (TAP) data for the Lebanon campus. This would include: accurate collecting, entering, and organizing tutor timesheets, tutoring group attendance logs, and tutoring hours in an electronic database in a timely manner, in order to create internal reports as needed.
- Under the guidance of the Director and in collaboration with the LEAD team, facilitate and/or actively participate as a Team Member in office meetings, learning, study and life skills workshops, seminars, presentations on topics such as study strategies, time management, test taking, and emotional intelligence skills training, in collaboration with LEAD team and norm guidelines. This includes direct participation, creation of content, (i.e. PowerPoint, handouts, etc.), logistical organization, and marketing of the presentation, workshop, and seminar, if applicable.
- Effectively assist the LEAD team in accurate organizing, entering, maintaining, and accessing appropriate records, and producing and analyzing reports and written documents.
- Under the guidance of the Director and in collaboration with the LEAD team define, provide, and evaluate academic support services and programs for WesternU students
- Participate in the Convocation and Commencement ceremonies
- Other duties as assigned
Education: A Master's degree in the field of education required. Knowledge of adult learning theory and evidence based health and well-being models. Familiarity with organizing and electronically managing large amounts of data. Demonstrated expertise in providing academic support services to students and demonstrated effectiveness in working with diverse cohorts expected.
Experience: At least three years of teaching experience at an undergraduate or higher education level degree with extensive workshop facilitation required.
It is preferred that the candidate demonstrate aspects of being a lifelong learner, highly energetic and with a passion for higher education. Additionally, the ideal candidate would exhibit: a willingness to learn, adaptability and flexibility to work according to the workload, including some nights and weekends.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.westernu.edu/postings/11116
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Western University of Health Sciences and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...