Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in Communication Design
Texas State University
Texas State University is looking for a passionate teacher of communication design to join our team. We are seeking candidates with excellent teaching abilities and a robust communication design research agenda.
The successful candidate will be part of this vibrant program and contribute to the ever-changing design discipline.
- Teach up to three courses per semester at the BFA and/or the MFA level.
- Participate in curriculum development.
- Pursue research/creative activity and building a substantive record of professional/peer recognition.
- Engage in service to the school, college, university, community and profession.
- Optional academic leadership involvement.
Eligible applicants must have:
- An MFA or MDes degree in communication design, visual communication, graphic design, interactive design, or related discipline completed by date of hire.
- A record of professional accomplishments in research/creative activity within the area of communication design.
- Demonstrated expertise in typography.
- Demonstrated knowledge in design utilizing current and emerging interactive technologies.
- Successful college-level teaching experience (faculty of record, student teaching accepted) in the area of communication design.
- Strong design mechanics and conceptual skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in teaching.
Applicants applying at the professor rank must have the credentials listed for the associate professor rank as well as a record of successful teaching, scholarly/creative activity, and service that would qualify the candidate for tenure at Texas State.
The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on the University and school established standards.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in the following:
- One or more years of successful university-level teaching in communication design.
- Experience teaching typography.
- Experience teaching interactive.
- Curriculum development in communication design courses.
- Demonstrated engagement in curriculum development in foundations.
- Demonstrated interest in administrative leadership.
- Service within academic, professional and community environments.
- Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
- Graduate-level research/theses supervision and advising experience.
- Online and hybrid teaching experience.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in communication design practice.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/22514.
Application must include:
- Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the
requirements for this position (not to exceed two pages).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10 of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each).
- Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works created under your direction.
- An annotated list for both personal and student files. For personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work, provide course title, media, date, and assignment.
- A statement addressing your current creative work in relationship to the future of the communication design discipline (one page maximum).
- Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three current references.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to email@example.com and include job number #20190011 in all correspondence.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts.
The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Texas State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com