Associate Director, Digital Education, Center For Learning And Teaching
American University in Cairo
Founded in 1919, AUC moved to a new 270-acre state-of-the-art campus in New Cairo in 2008. The University also operates in its historic downtown facilities, offering cultural events, graduate classes, and continuing education. Student housing is available in New Cairo. Among the premier universities in the region, AUC is Middle States accredited; its Engineering programs are accredited by ABET, its Chemistry program is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry, and the School of Business is accredited by AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. The AUC Libraries contain the largest English-language research collection in the region and are an active and integral part of the University's pursuit of excellence in all academic and scholarly programs. AUC is an English-medium institution; eighty-five percent of the students are Egyptian and the rest include students from nearly ninety countries, principally from the Middle East, Africa and North America. Faculty salary and rank are based on qualifications and professional experience. According to AUC policies and procedures, all faculty are entitled to generous benefits.
The Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) at the American University in Cairo invites applications for the position of Associate Director, Digital Education Unit, CLT. This is a non-tenure track faculty appointment at the rank of Associate Professor of Practice.
The Associate Director will develop, launch and direct a new Digital Education Unit (Online, Blended and Digitally Enhanced) and will report to the Director of CLT. The Associate Director will collaborate with faculty and administrators on planning for online/blended courses and programs based on established best practices; oversee the work of the instructional design and instructional technology teams within the unit; manage the assessment of online programs and courses in collaboration with faculty, program directors, department chairs and deans.
The Associate Director will be responsible for ensuring that the quality of the online and blended courses at AUC is strong and is consistent with the rigor expected of AUC courses and international standards. The Associate Director is responsible for ensuring that all accreditation standards for online learning are met and that AUC online policies and procedures are followed.
LEADING, MANAGING AND COORDINATING
The selected candidate will:
- Build, lead and manage a team of professionals dedicated to the design, development and delivery of online/blended learning courses.
- Collaborate with the Associate Provost for Transformative Learning and Teaching in identifying strategic directions of the university in online/blended programs or courses.
- Create a help desk service dedicated to respond to student and faculty technical inquiries.
- Collaborate with IT and relevant units on campus to ensure smooth and reliable services for online/blended learning courses.
- Recommend and evaluate technologies relevant to online/blended learning.
- Report to and assist the CLT Director in administrative, managerial and educational activities and initiatives of the Unit.
COURSE DESIGN AND DELIVERY
- Work with faculty to develop and implement unified course formats that provide students with seamless and user-friendly online learning environments that facilitate student learning and engagement.
- Work with faculty and other university support services to ensure student support and the effective delivery of all online/blended courses.
FACULTY TRAINING AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- Be responsible for coordinating and conducting training for online faculty in online instructional methods and in the development of digital instructional materials as needed.
- Collaborate within the CLT to ensure a solid program of faculty development opportunities for online learning.
- Keep abreast of new developments and research in online education and share this information with faculty as appropriate.
VETTING and ADMINISTRATION OF COURSES
- Under the direction the Associate Provost for Transformative Learning and Teaching, be responsible for coordinating course vetting prior to implementation indicating suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with university offices to ensure the effective administration of online/blended courses.
ASSESSMENT and REPORTING
- Lead and oversee the assessment of online/blended courses and make recommendations to departments on how to improve/develop these courses.
- Regular reporting to the director of CLT on online/blended learning progress.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Preferred starting date is Fall 2018.
All applicants must submit the following documents via the online system:
(a) an updated CV; (b) a letter of interest; (c) a completed AUC Personnel Information Form (PIF); (d) names and contact information for at least three references familiar with the candidate's professional background; (e) one page statement on courses that the candidate would like to design/develop. Letters of reference may be sent directly by the referees to email@example.com.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at American University in Cairo and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com