Dean, Language Arts
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 6/26/2018
Though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, West Valley College is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres, and is a Bay Area leader in transfer, degree, and career programs. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
The college currently seeks a visionary leader with demonstrated management experience to serve as the Dean of our Language Arts Division. As we transition to a Dean structure, our focus is on building upon the strengths of our committed faculty, outstanding campus facilities, and strong academic reputation to help broaden our already outstanding programs and build the premier Language Arts Division in Northern California.
This division is comprised of the Communications Studies, English, ESL, Reading, Women and Gender Studies, and World Languages departments. Pursuant to our Educational and Facilities Master Plan, the college is committed to serving our diverse student body at all points along their academic journey with a comprehensive curriculum designed to engage and inspire.
The Dean will build collaborative external and internal relationships to foster innovative programs, expanded internship opportunities, and cutting-edge curriculum to help our students thrive in the demanding Silicon Valley job market or transfer to the bachelor's program of their dreams.
The college benefits from a strong alumni and giving community that has collaborated at record levels in order to foster a well-rounded educational experience for our students and provide greater resources for our faculty. The Dean will report directly to the Vice President of Instruction, be a member of the President's Cabinet, and be provided institutional support and resources necessary to achieve academic excellence.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
For more information about West Valley College, please visit http://westvalley.edu/about/administration/language-arts-dean.
100% of full time, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of August 13, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is an Educational Administrator and part of the Administrative employee unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $131,612–$140,170 annually (Administrative Salary Schedule, Range 25, Steps A-C).
- Additional compensation: $1,500 for doctorate added to base salary annually, to be prorated on a monthly basis.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (25 days after 5 years).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Professional development and renewal leave.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalSTRS retirement.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and implement department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Plan, organize and direct instructional and student support programs, services, and initiatives relative to area of assignment.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the department work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Prepare the department budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Recommend the appointment of faculty and staff; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; monitor faculty contracts to assure accordance with association contract and district policies; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
- Oversee the accurate development, approval and implementation of college curriculum; participate in the coordination, preparation, publication, and distribution of the college catalog and schedule of classes.
- Ensure instructional programs and support services are regularly assessed for evidence of student learning and achievement, particularly in terms of student outcomes and adherence to standards of accreditation; participate in developing and implementing enrollment performance goals.
- Manage and oversee functions associated with area of assignment, which may include library, tutorial center, and instructional support labs.
- Initiate, support and participate in efforts to secure local, state or federal grant funding for college programs and services; ensure that grants are implemented according to approved plans and that reporting requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Represent the department and division to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
- Research and prepare technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
- Coordinate the selection, use, and maintenance of equipment and facilities assigned to the division.
- Plan and coordinate course schedules in response to the needs of students and within the district’s enrollment targets; manage enrollment to maximize use of faculty loads, operating budgets, and space resources.
- May oversee revenue-generating classes, programs, and activities.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in education or a field related to specific area of assignment.
3. Five years of increasingly responsible experience in instruction at a college level; including two years of administrative and management responsibility.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...