F/T Faculty: Communications
Bunker Hill Community College
Department: English Department
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Apr 24, '18
Ref No.: FAC
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Recently re-certified as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream, BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. The College offers more than 100 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than 50 percent are women.
We are looking for individuals aligned with our institutional values of access and success, excellence and innovation, economic and social justice, inclusiveness and equity, civic engagement and service, kindness and respect, and accountability and transparency. Individuals with a dedication to a dynamic educational environment, investment in the social and economic well-being of all, and belief in student-centered learning in an engaging, supportive environment are sought to fill the following position.
Living in Boston
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America. Twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offer more than 600,000 residents the opportunity to taste, touch, and experience things from all over the world. Neighbors benefit from exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, and a solid network of parks, community centers, and libraries. For more information about Boston go to: http://www.cityofboston.gov/residents.
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Bunker Hill Community College in their search for a full-time, tenure-track Communications Faculty. The College seeks an enthusiastic, cutting edge professional with teaching credentials and experience to revise and expand the Communications Program of Study to align the major with baccalaureate transfer opportunities and 21st century careers.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join a successful and growing area. The new faculty member will incorporate a number of emergent fields, including integrated marketing communications, media studies, and public interest communications.
The successful candidate is current in the field, learner-centered and innovative. The successful candidate has a history of teaching experience and program development in one or more of the following areas: emerging media studies, interpersonal communication, integrated marketing communication, film, journalism, and public interest communication.
- Teach a range of courses in Communications, including interpersonal communication, film, journalism, and media studies
- Play a leadership role in the review, revision and assessment of the Communications Program of Study and curriculum
- Actively support the teaching and learning process; create and support a student-centered environment in and beyond the classroom
- Implement teaching practices designed to appeal to multiple learning styles
- Promote the development of critical thinking skills through the teaching of Communications courses
- Evaluate student performance in the classroom using outcomes-based assessments
- Participate in on-going professional development
- Maintain expertise in area of teaching responsibility
- Use new technologies in the classroom to supplement instruction
- Teach in learning communities in which Communications courses are paired with courses in other disciplines
- Actively participate as a faculty member in the general College community and fulfill duties as stipulated in the MCCC Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Master's degree in Communications or closely related field required. Master's degree or Doctorate in a related field with core coursework in Communication will be considered if graduate transcript(s) are submitted with application
- Experience in college-level teaching of Communications required; community college teaching experience preferred
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse student, faculty and staff population
- Ph.D. in Communications preferred.
- Experience in Communications professional practice a plus
- Experience in program development is a plus
Full-time Faculty Requirement Statement: BHCC seeks full-time faculty who demonstrate a passion for teaching and a desire to join faculty and staff to expand and create new strategies for student success. Faculty must be experienced in teaching in learning communities or willing to become proficient in learning community pedagogy and practice once hired, as well as adept in the assessment of learning outcomes and the use of technology in the classroom. Candidates should be passionate educators who can facilitate the needs of diverse 21st century learners. Additionally, BHCC seeks faculty who value advising students and wish to contribute fully to the life of the College. Faculty may be assigned courses at one or more of the College's locations. Applicants must have proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
Letters of application should address the above faculty requirement statement in a teaching philosophy.
Salary Range: $46,000.00-$55,000.00 Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate With Education and Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Relocation Stipend May Be Available.
Effective date: This Position will begin on September 1, 2018. To Ensure Consideration, Application Materials Must Be Received By May 17, 2018.
You may apply directly at: https://bhcc.interviewexchange.com. Submit a Cover Letter Addressing the Required Qualifications, Resume and Contact Information for 3 References and Please make sure you fill out the online application.
If you have any questions, you may contact Jennifer Muller at 860-740-2600 or Jennifer@acesrch.com
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Bunker Hill Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com