New York Institute of Technology, School of Architecture and Design
The School of Architecture and Design at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) seeks a well prepared, competent and energetic Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. This position will be based on our Old Westbury and Manhattan campuses and may include some teaching at the graduate and/or undergraduate level. The ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial mind, exceptional communication skills, the ability to create transformative development opportunities, and support the aspirations for the School with innovative ideas for growth and visibility. This is a full-time 12 month administrative role as Associate Dean reporting directly to the Dean of Architecture and Design.
- Assist the Dean in managing academic related activities and affairs to ensure effective and competent leadership and assume responsibilities of the Dean as delegated.
- Develop programs with the Dean, addressing future goals and strategies, curriculum design and new pedagogies.
- Help the Dean to build and support a talented teaching and research community to realize full potentials.
- Supervise Chairs’ and Directors’ operations, and work collegially with faculty, staff, students and administrators promoting their development and excellence.
- Provide leadership and support to the graduate and undergraduate programs and curricula.
- Coordinate revisions and implementation of the School’s Strategic Plan in support of the School’s new vision and in alignment with the mission of the Institution.
- Assist with external funding and grants, entrepreneurial proposals, partnerships and development initiatives.
- Oversee student recruitment, retention, advising and placement.
- Secure curricula, NAAB and CIDA Student Performance Criteria implementation and assessment processes with the Dean, Chairs and Directors. Coordinate SoAD policies, tenure and promotion, and accreditation processes.
- Assist with Public Relations, representing the School's leadership together with the Dean; attending events with (or in substitution of) the Dean; assist with Alumni Relations with a variety of constituencies.
- Promote increased diversity, advocating student success, interdisciplinary and service learning experiences.
- Promote ‘best practices’ and academic integrity; putting people first.
- Support and facilitate a positive, functional, cordial and effective working environment based on cooperation, trust and respect.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- A professional degree in Architecture (B.Arch or M.Arch or international equivalent) plus professional license (license in progress will be accepted).
- Evidence of academic, teaching, research, professional/creative activities, achievements with a strong and innovative design sensitivity, and service credentials meriting the appointment to the rank of Associate Professor or full Professor.
- A minimum of three to five years in effective academic leadership roles in a higher education institution; experience with accrediting organizations pertinent to the School of Architecture and Design (NAAB; CIDA).
- Post professional Masters and/or Ph.D
- Emerging professional practices
- Record of interdisciplinary collaborations
- Contributions in externally funded research
Applicants should submit the following in digital format (PDF):
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Statement addressing the candidate’s administrative experiences, pedagogic approach, research interests and professional accomplishments
- Portfolio of teaching, professional and/or research work (PDF, max 5 MB) (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Name and contact information of three references
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on May 8, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Appointment will begin in the Fall 2018 semester.
To apply please submit your application to:
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the New York Institute of Technology and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com