Dean of Students
General Statement of Duties:
The highly visible incumbent is responsible for directing and implementing the mission and vision D’Youville College and the Division of Student Life and Enrollment Management. The incumbent will provide administrative oversight for the following areas: Office of Residence Life, The Personal Counseling Center, and Health Services Office. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who thrives amidst an ever-changing and unpredictable work environment and will have demonstrated skills in the areas of leadership across boundaries, strategic planning and implementation and assessment. The Dean of Students will report directly to the Vice President for Student Life and Enrollment Management.
The Dean is responsible for the departmental budget, and will serve on various college committees. Evening and weekend hours may be required when the college is in session to manage workload and attend meetings and College functions.
Examples of Duties: (illustrative only)
- Provides leadership, budget management and administrative oversight for all functions under the direct supervision of the Dean of Students position.
- Responsible for the development of a holistic student development program that fosters student leadership and promotes the core mission for the college.
- Works in collaboration with the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Life to manage the college’s response to student incidents and crises.
- Participants and fosters a student and learning centered philosophy and a focus on successful student outcomes including engagement, sense of belonging, persistence, retention, and leadership.
- Committed to inclusion to create a diverse campus community, fostering the success of all students, including students historically underrepresented in higher education and students who are first in their family to attend college.
- Establishes a dynamic environment, which promotes the safety and respect of students, faculty and staff while recognizing initiative, innovation, and inclusive excellence.
- Provides leadership and oversees the development of policies and procedures and operational activities related to student life. Works closely with the various Student Life offices to support student persistence and retention.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience working in or supervision of Residence Life, Personal Counseling, and Health Services.
- Thorough knowledge and proven track record in Residence Life, including policy development, programming and student development.
- Strong cross-cultural, interpersonal, and writing skills necessary, including the ability to represent the College in a positive way to diverse populations.
- Possess a demonstrated ability to develop linkages with other college community partners through significant outreach efforts to support student success in and out of the classroom.
- Provides innovative and creative programs that supports student learning, leading to increased persistence and graduation rates across diverse student populations.
- Brings authenticity and passion to support new and ongoing initiatives such as peer-mentoring programs, student leadership development, orientation and first-year experience in collaboration with various student life staff.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals on campus and in all areas of the community to accomplish student life objectives.
- Ability to make sound professional judgments, often under deadline pressure, when dealing with student related issues.
- Demonstrates understanding of higher education organizational structures and the ability to effectively navigate those systems to solve complex problems.
- A proven ability to identify and address problems, exhibit competence in identifying and interpreting needed areas of assessment, display sensitivity regarding personnel matters and the ability to participate effectively in short and long range planning.
- A strong commitment to the college’s mission to honor the catholic heritage and the spirit of St. Marguerite D’Youville working with students from across diverse cultures, backgrounds and faith traditions that promotes leadership and service.
D’Youville College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence in education and employment through diversity. The College embraces diversity and defines it to include race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, religion, social class, age, sexual orientation, and physical and learning ability. D’Youville College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
In an effort to accurately represent D’Youville’s student population, candidates of racial and/or ethnic minority backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email your resume to:
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com