Financial Aid Specialist
Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
- This position manages a caseload of student's files, assesses an individual student's financial need, and ascertains the student's eligibility to participate in federal, state, and/or institutional aid programs.
- This position serves as secondary support for COD functions.
- The advisor provides counseling to student on the manner of integrating their financial aid concerns, relative to personal and/or academic problems.
- Analyzes financial information submitted by students; provides counseling to student and assists student or parents in the preparation of pertinent forms.
- Conducts financial aid workshops/conferences and completes all internal and external reports;
- Evaluates the academic status of each applicant; keeps abreast of current federal regulations and guidelines pertaining to the student financial aid program.
- Verifies student files selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Makes electronic corrections to the Department of Education.
- Corrects C-code rejections by the Department of Education. Processes students' consortium agreements and social security waivers.
- Evaluates Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Forms.
- Uses various software applications such as spreadsheets, relational databases, and word processing to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- Applies a working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; verifies documents for completeness and compliance.
- Operates a fax machine, copier, and other office equipment.
As a requirement of this position, Baltimore City Community College will expect the incumbent to provide and be evaluated on the effective delivery of services through evening and weekend coverage, providing coverage at off-campus sites as deemed necessary, cross-training in related functions to support operational efficiency, provide as appropriate instruction and or instructional support in a manner that best enhances student learning and success.
As a learning-centered institution, all staff will be expected and evaluated on learning outcomes and assessment, effectively adhering to deadlines, maintaining the highest level of professionalism and ethics, and providing exemplary customer service in a civil and collegial environment.
- Bachelor's Degree,
- Higher Education Administration experience such as Admissions, Registration, Financial Aid,
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and/or work processing required.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, the internet and student data systems required.
This position prefers at least 3 years of experience working in a customer-oriented Financial Aid Office, knowledge of federal aid regulations, proficiency in the use of the u.s. Department of Education's software systems such as Common Origination and Disbursement (COD), FAA Access and the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) and experience with financial aid management systems.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for this position, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...