Program Specialist, HSI-STEM Work Experience
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 3/19/2018
The HSI-STEM Program is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Program Specialist in implementing the work experience program.
Mission College, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is seeking a dynamic individual who thrives in a fast-paced and innovative environment. Recognized as both a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution, Mission College is known for the strength of our academic programs and faculty and staff, as well as our equity-minded and student-focused approach that combines high-tech and high-touch.
The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of technical support functions for an assigned program or programs within a college department or division; to implement routine but specialized aspects of the program independently; to provide program information and advice to students; to oversee and direct the work of student workers; and to provide technical and administrative support to the program director.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of May 7, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $5,203–$5,682 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 64, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in a field related to area of assignment.
3. Two years of responsible experience related to specific program area.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Compile resources, internship, work experience opportunities and summer job placements with local Silicon Valley companies.
- Provide STEM Career planning and work experience job placements
- Develop list of STEM professionals who will mentor Mission HSI STEM majors
- Plan, develop, implement and assist with the coordination of a Mission STEM Career & Internship Fair
- Schedule and plan Mission sponsored annual spring STEM Summer job and Internship application event for participating Latino and low income students
- Schedule and Plan STEM Industry tours and field trips
- Plan STEM events/ invitations for participating students and prospective industry mentors. Orient industry mentors to STEM majors at Mission & work with them to promote STEM careers within our region.
- Offer soft skill workshops on interviews, STEM hiring processes, on the job training opportunities and meeting STEM professional with similar backgrounds
- Assign Mission HSI STEM Ambassadors and prepare materials; set date, agenda, budget; invite Mission HSI STEM majors; schedule informational sessions and hands-on learning activities.
- Plan, prepare, edit and proofread a variety of materials such as contracts, course outlines, correspondence, requisitions, student records, timesheets, statistical and annual reports, and program guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Provide information and assistance to students, district faculty and staff, and community members and/or outside groups regarding program operations, activities, and eligibility.
- Serve as initial point of contact for program participants; provide support and advice to students regarding program processes and regulations, and make referrals to appropriate campus and community resources as necessary; assist with problem solving and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Communicate with instructors, vendors, and suppliers regarding program facilities, supplies and equipment; maintain supply inventory; monitor and report needed equipment repairs.
- Create program marketing materials; participate in recruitment and outreach events.
- Recruit, select, train, evaluate, and direct the work of student workers and/or contract employees; may review proposals and negotiate terms with contract employees.
- Monitor and analyze data and prepare various financial and narrative reports; may monitor program budget.
- Evaluate the completeness of student applications for assigned programs; coordinate program intake processes; assure compliance with program-related regulations; communicate with students regarding missing documents.
- Maintain program facilities in a clean and orderly condition; may coordinate custodial and maintenance functions with district staff; may adjust and perform maintenance or minor repairs to equipment as needed.
- Make recommendations, place orders, and maintain records for the purchase of office equipment and supplies; prepare and process a variety of contracts, purchasing requests, and invoices; receive and store supplies.
- Communicate and coordinate with district and department managers, faculty, and staff to provide information on program services; may assist with development of program policies and procedures.
- Organize and maintain extensive and confidential databases, records, and student files for assigned program.
- Interpret, articulate, and disseminate information on applicable laws and regulations to students and administrators.
- May function as office manager.
- May participate in and/or serve on various program-related district and outside committees, as assigned.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...