Staff officers of research assist members of the faculty or professional officers of research in the conduct of research or a clinical program. They carry out assigned duties in the design of apparatus, the adaptation of relevant technology to the needs of a project, the conduct of specific experiments, and the analysis of data. They may also be responsible for collecting data and providing services to its clients. Staff officers of research work under limited supervision on complex assignments that require them to exercise a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
The Pao Sustainable Engineering and Materials Laboratory (Pao Lab) of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics is seeking a Staff Associate in the capacity of Laboratory Manager of the Pao Lab. The applicant must be a qualified engineer in either the fields of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Material Science, or a related field.
The Laboratory Manager of the Pao Lab reports directly to the Pao Lab Oversight Committee. The incumbent shall perform daily administrative duties for the Pao Lab, specifically to maintain the recharge center surrounding the Envirotronics weather chamber and associated equipment.
The incumbent shall ensure safe, reliable, and financially sustainable operation of Pao Lab equipment to enable research users to independently conduct research, design and testing of all types of materials, and structural elements. Internal users shall include B.S., M.S., Ph.D. students, research scientists and fellows, and faculty from Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics as well as other Columbia University academic departments.
The incumbent shall furthermore ensure the technical feasibility and provide budgetary estimates to Columbia University internal academic users in the research project proposal stage.
The lab manager shall engage and maintain relationships with external industry users to enable the Pao Lab to partially offset operating costs. The lab manager shall be the responsible officer for estimating, designing, performing, and reporting of industry test projects. Such projects shall be coordinated in concert with internal user needs.
The duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Perform daily administrative duties of the laboratory in concert with the Pao Lab Oversight Committee.
- Submit and reconcile project invoices
- Perform testing for external industry users
- Oversee research of internal academic users
- Develop and maintain Pao Lab website
- Develop and enforce safety and training compliance for all laboratory users. Maintain site-specific and machine-specific training protocols.
- Maintain laboratory access database
- Maintain regulatory compliance pursuant to OSHA, EH&S, EPA, etc.
- Manage Pao Lab recharge center. Maintain recharge center operating budgets. Perform internal billing (ITJE) of user fees for equipment use. Perform rate-setting calculations per restricted license policy in concert with Pao Lab Oversight Committee.
- Perform all laboratory purchasing. Maintain positive vendor relationships to support just-in-time procurement strategy.
- Maintain certification, calibration, and general maintenance schedule for testing equipment.
Facilitate an operational Laboratory such that Pao Lab users may
- Conduct research, design and testing of all types of materials, structural elements, and structure of civil infrastructure.
- Support faculty and student research
- Provide community and University outreach through outreach programs, tours, orientations, etc.
- Mentor, train, supervise undergraduate, M.S., and Ph.D. students performing work in laboratory in concert with faculty and Associate Research Scientist.
EIT/FE/PE preferred, but not required
Experience preferred, but not required
Please apply here: academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=65698.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Columbia University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com