Otis College of Art and Design
Otis College of Art and Design is accepting applications for a full-time Department Chair of its Foundation (first-year) program. The Department Chair provides educational and administrative leadership for the department. Distinguished artists/designers with significant professional accomplishments and undergraduate, lower division teaching experience are encouraged to apply. Otis’ renowned Foundation program emphasizes aesthetic fundamentals of art and design, or critical thinking and making skills transferrable to all of the College’s Majors. The Department Chair holds a full-time, exempt position with faculty rank and a fixed term of five years (renewable for a second five-year term). This position reports directly to the Provost.
- Provides strong, collaborative leadership for department curriculum planning, academic program development and evaluation, student advising, and development and communication of departmental learning outcomes, policy, and procedure.
- Manages and evaluates, in a manner that enhances effectiveness and promotes workplace morale, the operations and functions of the academic program consistent with the philosophy, mission, and values of the College.
- Meets with students as needed to resolve issues, understand academic struggles, refer, and follow up on issues. Interfaces student and faculty concerns in a nurturing and pedagogically sound way, collaborates with Student Affairs effectively.
- Develops, plans, and implements department objectives that directly support the College’s mission and goals. Oversees the department’s curriculum planning, academic program development and evaluation, and academic advisement. Identifies trends and needs and modifies program accordingly, including extensive collaboration with BFA program Chairs and academic directors to ensure Foundation’s considerable service requirement
- Teaches a minimum 3 contact hours per semester, on average. Advises current and prospective students and serves as an information resource.
- Oversees the development, management, and reconciliation of program budgets. Makes budgetary and resource allocation decisions. Provides financial status reports as needed. May seek additional funding through grants in coordination with Institutional Advancement to fund program initiatives.
- Conducts periodic program reviews and produces an annual program report to meet College-wide assessment and accreditation needs. Assesses strengths and initiates necessary improvements within the department’s academic program to enhance program quality and student success.
- Collaborates with Admissions and Student Affairs to establish and reach enrollment goals by participating in effective student recruitment and retention strategies. Collaborates with Chairs of BFA programs to assist with rising sophomore forecasts and related advising. Monitors enrollment trends each semester; adds and deletes courses as needed.
- Assesses faculty composition in light of diversity, visibility and program goals. Makes concerted efforts to recruit, hire, and retain diverse populations of teaching faculty. Manages and supports faculty in their roles as teachers, mentors, and practitioners. Meets with faculty on a regular basis to communicate policy updates, events, deadlines, and other pertinent information.
- Determines faculty course loads based on teaching effectiveness, program objectives, and class schedules. Assesses performance and provides feedback. Counsels or disciplines, as needed.
- Directly or indirectly manages department office staff. Oversees the day-to-day administrative functions. Identifies training needs and makes arrangements to support office staff. Evaluates staff performance and addresses areas in need of attention.
- Cooperates with Communications and Marketing and Institutional Advancement departments to increase College and program visibility and to help highlight faculty/student/alumni achievements. Responds to requests for information and/or represents the department at conferences, fundraisers, community openings, Otis College functions, and other events that serve to support the College’s faculty, students, and alumni and furthers the College’s academic standing.
- Identifies fundraising and advancement opportunities in coordination with the Institutional Advancement department. Assists with fundraising proposals, donor cultivation, donor solicitation, and other external partnership opportunities.
- Oversees a wide range of media outlets (i.e., print displays, department website, social media accounts, blogs, multimedia displays, etc.) to ensure accuracy and currency.
- Develops, communicates, and implements departmental policies and procedures within College guidelines.
- Participates in College governance activities, including committee service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
A masterís level graduate degree or equivalent evidence of significant professional achievement in the field is required. Applicants must have significant distinctions in one or more art/design discipline(s), a record of exemplary professional accomplishments (which may include scholarship of teaching and learning), an established record of teaching excellence at the first year and/or lower division level, and demonstrated excellence in administrative leadership and management of a program or curriculum within a comparably accredited institution of higher learning. Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, collaborative, verbal/written communication, synthetic, and quantitative skills are also required. Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suite, along with proficiency in basic accounting practices are preferred. Demonstrable knowledge of contemporary teaching and best practices in teaching and learning are strongly preferred. The position offers competitive compensation and benefits.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Interested candidates must apply via Otisí website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...