Circulation Technician I/II
Anne Arundel Community College
The Circulation Technician is responsible for afternoon/evening staffing the Circulation Desk by performing all duties necessary to ensure orderly lending, returning and use of library materials, and for processing and maintaining the periodical collection, processing overdue fine letters, and for responding to patron requests for information concerning all library services.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all functions of the circulation department in the evenings. Report operational issues to appropriate staff. In conjunction with the student assistant supervisor, provide oversight and training for student assistants assigned to work in the evening. Provide support to evening reference technician when needed.
- Perform duties necessary to ensure the orderly circulation of library materials, which include the following: Charge, discharge, and renew library materials; Register new patrons and modify existing patron records; Process requests for library materials to be sent to off-site locations.
- Oversee accurate shelving of library materials.
- Ensure confidentiality of library circulation records.
- Update hold requests and notify patrons of availability of holds.
- Receive, check in, and process new issues of journals and magazines. Maintain current periodicals stacks. Route periodicals to library faculty and staff. Process book review cards for distribution to faculty members.
- Identify damaged library materials, assess fines, and routes materials to appropriate staff for possible withdrawal and/or replacement.
- Maintain circulation records using library system software. Run reports relating to circulation and update the calendar function in the library system.
- Process overdue fines for patrons, maintaining circulation and overdue items records and recording statistics as necessary.
- Respond to in person, e-mail and telephone questions and requests, such as library card applications, reservations for audio-visual materials. Answer questions from patrons for basic library or college information, seeking assistance from others if necessary. Direct patrons to locations within the building and on campus.
- Assist Public Safety in closing the library. Respond to book security system alarms. Report lost items to Public Safety. Follow security procedures.
- Instruct patrons in the basic use of laptops, VCR/DVD players, photocopiers, and other equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Access Librarian or the Director of the Library.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a library.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule as needed: primarily afternoon/evening hours, with possibility of occasional morning or weekend shift. Usual hours for the position are 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Friday.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven ability to deliver excellent customer service and to deal effectively and tactfully with all types of internal and external customers in user groups, such as, students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to provide guidance to others.
- Working knowledge of computers and ability to type accurately at a moderate rate, use computer for email, spreadsheets, and word processing.
- Associate's degree.
- At least one year of experience working at a library circulation desk.
- Experience with and knowledge of Microsoft Office, especial Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of audio-visual equipment and photocopiers.
Hours Per Week: 40
Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday, 2:00-10:00PM, Friday 10:00AM-6:00PM
Information and Application Process Instructions
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
For more information or to apply, please visit https://aacc.hiretouch.com
Anne Arundel Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Anne Arundel Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Please apply online at: https://aacc.hiretouch.com
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...