Senior Library Media Technician
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 3/5/2018
The Learning Resources & Success Center is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Senior Library Media Technician.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, the Senior Library Media Technician will assist in the coordination of the day-to-day operation of the College's Library & Success Center; perform a variety of specialized duties involving direct services to students, staff, faculty, and community members; perform specialized technical duties in the circulation, organization and management of library resources; support library outreach services; and perform technical duties in the processing of required documentation for the Success Center operation.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of March 26, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Library & Success Center, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,562–$4,981 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 58, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in the coordination and operation of the Library & Success Center.
- Serve as initial source of information and assistance to students, faculty, staff, and community members contacting the Library & Success Center in person and on the telephone; provide information about the Library & Success Center’s policies and procedures, collections and services; refer students to appropriate area as needed.
- Utilizing the specialized Integrated Library System software: locate and retrieve books and materials; create and update library accounts for students, staff, faculty, and community patrons; facilitate the circulation of library materials; monitor overdue materials and prepare notices to collect fines and clear student records; receive fine and billing payments; order and process interlibrary loans; check in deliveries; send out pickup notifications; process new and/or added reserve materials with brief entry cataloging; catalog new materials: download and edit bibliographic records from OCLC or other bibliographic source; update holdings records; assign barcodes; update and maintain control files including name and subject authority, master inventory of holdings and public catalog; resolve discrepancies and regulate the electronic removal of bibliographic records for withdrawn obsolete and damaged library materials.
- Collect cash and check payments; post and clear library debts and holds in both the Integrated Library System and the College’s student enterprise system; reconcile receipts.
- Set up, operate and demonstrate the use of equipment, hardware and software including but not limited to student and tutor tracking systems, computers, and related software and report functions; assist students in using instructional software; schedule and arrange for equipment repairs.
- Set up, operate and demonstrate public computer workstations, scanners, copiers, network printing systems, print card dispensers, media players and other instructional and library equipment; Schedule and arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Coordinate the recruitment, selection and training of student assistants.
- Research vendors and order materials for the library collection using advanced methodology and multiple resources to ensure that materials comply with Section 508 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Prepare purchase requisitions, order online, receive and monitor invoicing of books and other library materials; reconcile shipment, invoice and statement discrepancies and resolve problems and issues arising from the purchase of library materials.
- Track and monitor budget activity.
- Communicate with instructors to ensure class reserves are accurate and available for students; monitor required textbook list in conjunction with class schedule and usage statistics.
- Maintain collection according to established library principles and procedures, including identifying materials for repair or replacement; organizing and supervising shelving, shelf-reading, shifting, inventory and signage.
- Repair library materials according to conservation standards.
- Discard designated library materials and arrange for their distribution.
- Receive and process incoming periodical issues; maintain periodicals holdings list; communicate with periodical, vendor and local newspaper distributors for claims for missing or damaged materials.
- Maintain department statistics and records for reporting purposes.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of of records, logs and files related to tutor payroll, tutor contracts, tutee intake and registration, faculty referral forms, center use statistics, purchases, budget and equipment and supplies inventory.
- Perform instructional support functions and clerical duties as required; create promotional and informational materials.
- Interprets and enforces library and college policies.
- Order, receive, store and inventory equipment, supplies and materials for Library and Success Center use; issue and distribute instructional materials.
- Resolve patron conflicts and issues; maintain security and enforce rules of conduct; maintain security of book collection; troubleshoot and monitor book detection system.
- Maintain a clean and safe learning environment in the library and Success Center and related tutorial centers; maintain equipment and software and schedule repairs and system corrections as needed.
- Communicate with instructors; respond to questions from students, faculty, staff, administrators and others to promote and publicize tutorial services.
- Assist in the organization, preservation and digitization of archival materials.
- Assist library faculty and refer difficult or unusual problems to appropriate staff members.
- Provide front desk and operational support to other areas of the Library & Success Center as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in library technology or a related field.
3. Two years of responsible journey level experience similar to Library Media Technician with the West Valley-Mission Community College District.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the North Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...