Senior HVAC Technician
South Orange County Community College District
Senior HVAC Technician (One or More Positions)
Initial Screening Date 03/05/2018
Pay Range: 130- starting salary at $4,926 per month
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under direction from assigned supervisory and/or management staff, performs skilled work in the installation, servicing, repair, and maintenance of refrigeration, heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment and systems; makes a variety of independent decisions related to HVAC systems; coordinates assigned projects related to HVAC systems and serves as the point person for contractors during the evening hours; operates and maintains a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment; performs a variety of special projects; and assists in performing other skilled maintenance duties as assigned. May receive functional supervision, technical training and work direction from a Plant Engineer.
This is the advanced journey level class in the HVAC Technician series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned including making independent decisions related to the HVAC system, dealing with contractors, and independently performing a variety of special projects. Employees in this classification work part of a shift alone without any direct supervision from higher level staff. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Advanced methods, practices, equipment and tools used in the repair and maintenance of air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems.
- Advanced methods and techniques of troubleshooting and diagnosing of HVAC malfunctions.
- HVAC system design, equipment capabilities and requirements.
- Electronic, pneumatic and mechanical principles as applied to the maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Operational characteristics of energy management systems and related components.
- Proper methods, materials, tools, terminology and equipment used in the HVAC trades.
- Methods and techniques of preparing and interpreting drawings, diagrams, schematics and blueprints.
- Time, material, and labor cost estimating principles and practices used in maintenance and repair projects.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations.
- Independently perform preventive HVAC maintenance work.
- Maintain, install and repair complex HVAC systems, equipment and components.
- Operate a variety of tools and equipment used in HVAC maintenance and repair work.
- Independently make decisions regarding the HVAC system.
- Read and interpret mechanical drawings, schematics, blueprints and sketches.
- Order and maintain parts and supplies according to established guidelines and repair requirements.
- Install, maintain and repair energy management systems and related components.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in the maintenance and repair of heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems or a related field.
Three years of responsible experience in the maintenance and repair of heating and air conditioning equipment and systems.
License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license and proof of insurability.
Possession of, a valid EPA Refrigerant Handling certificate.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
28000 Marguerite Parkway
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...