Department of Nursing Chair/Associate Professor/Professor
School of Health Professions
The School of Health Professions at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) seeks applications for the position of Department of Nursing Chair.
New York Institute of Technology
The Department of Nursing Chair will also hold the faculty rank of Associate or Full Professor of Nursing, (tenured or tenure track) in the department.
The department currently consist of a CCNE accredited B.S in Nursing program that is offered on the Old Westbury campus, LI, NY. The Nursing Department is part of the School of Health Professions and works closely with other departments and the Medical College to implement inter-professional initiatives. The department is known for its innovative transcultural nursing curriculum and state-of-the-art media and instructional technology.
The Department of Nursing Chair in the School of Health Professions (SHP) is responsible to the Dean and provides creative leadership in the promotion of excellence in nursing education. This position is responsible for the overall management and implementation of courses specific to the nursing program as well as the management of course schedules and faculty teaching assignments. The chair is accountable for the quality and currency of the nursing program curricula.
The Department of Nursing Chair will provide impetus, direction and support to faculty as they design and implement nursing educational programs that meet the needs of a changing society and health care system.
This is a full-time (twelve-month) senior faculty-administrator position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the nursing department.
- Develop and maintain the relationship between the nursing department, the school of health professions and the university.
- Participate, and demonstrate leadership, in the implementation, and evaluation of the curriculum and other nursing education program components.
- Coordinate program and articulation clinical agreements with outside colleges, universities, hospitals and various other entities.
- Lead student recruitment activities including collaborating with the admissions department in student recruitment efforts.
- Assist students toward successful program completion.
- Recruit high quality credentialed faculty and staff.
- Partner with the Dean to ensure the fiscal well-being of the nursing department as it relates to the departmental budget.
- Participate in activities that promote the stature of the department.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships within the community, including fostering the nursing education programís responsiveness to community/employer needs.
- Ensures overall integrity/quality in the delivery of the nursing program.
- Ensure the curricular assessment data is used to recommend quality enhancements to teaching styles and curricular content specific to nursing.
- Identify factors in the nursing curriculum that warrant further evaluation and/or assessment using benchmark data.
- Enforce and monitor procedures and programs that demonstrate a commitment to an inclusive environment within the nursing department.
- Ensures appropriate nursing accreditation and approval standards are met/communicates with all nursing bureaus and accreditation agencies.
- Monitors national, regional and local trends in nursing education to assure competitiveness in programs offered in the department.
- Provides guidance and oversight for nursing faculty development.
- Recognizes the critical role of scholarship in both nursing knowledge dissemination and generation in shaping academic programs.
- Work with the Dean in building relationships and reputation with external nursing constituencies.
- Teach in assigned academic courses.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean.
An earned terminal Doctoral Degree (PhD, EdD, DNP, etc), preferably in Nursing required. A Masterís degree in Nursing (Required). A record of progressive leadership experience in academic operations and undergraduate/graduate nursing education/teaching. A demonstrated track-record of a successful program of scholarship/research commensurate with appointment at the Associate or Full professor level. Demonstrated experience in academic or clinical nursing administration. Demonstrated experience to motivate faculty and lead teams in a dynamic environment. Demonstrated experience to manage complex interaction of academic programming needs (assessment and outcomes evaluation, community work, student advisement, curriculum/degree program development, accreditation compliance), and fiscal resources. Record of functioning as an effective collaborator. Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to diversity/inclusivity in the academic environment. Current and unencumbered RN license in the State of New York or be eligible.
- Must possess knowledge of accreditation standards and processes for nursing educational programs.
- Must have excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary / Interprofessional dynamic environment.
- Must have excellent computer and data management skills.
- Must possess knowledge of faculty academic progression policies for those in tenure track and clinical track lines.
- Must possess the ability to manage faculty and staff human resources effectively.
- Must possess the ability to manage financial resources efficiently.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- To apply please visit: https://careers-nyit.icims.com/jobs/1422/department-of-nursing-chair--associate-professor-professor/job.
Please submit CV, cover letter, and teaching statement (one pdf file) for consideration.
Target Start Date: September 1, 2018
Address Inquiries to: Dr. Sheldon D. Fields, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean-SHP, (516)-686-3939, Sheldon.Fields@NYIT.edu
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience and academic rank.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the New York Institute of Technology and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Dr. Sheldon Fields, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean -SHP
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Dr. Sheldon Fields, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean -SHP
Please Apply as Included Above
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...