Child Development Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/28/2018
Mission College is seeking applications for a full-time, tenure track Child Development Instructor. Mission College's Child Development Department offers an Associate degree in Early Childhood Education, an Associate for Transfer degree, and certificate programs leading to the fulfillment of requirements for Child Development permits and early childhood educators. Successful candidates will be those who reflect an understanding of demands of state licensing as well as the importance of a strong academic foundation in the concepts of Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education and Special Education. Additionally, the instructor is required to participate in the professional and academic work of the Child Development Department, the division, and the college. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of linguistically and culturally diverse student populations are encouraged to apply.
Mission College, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is seeking a dynamic leader who thrives in a fast-paced and innovative environment. Recognized as both a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution, Mission College is known for the strength of our academic programs and faculty as well as our equity-minded and student-focused approach that combines high-tech and high-touch.
Applicants interested in teaching within an energetic, student-centered culture that looks to the future would find Mission College a perfect fit.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2018. Instructional assignments may include day and/or evening classes, Monday thru Saturday, as needed and rotate among the Child Development faculty. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of studentsí work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, classes and office hour schedules.
- Follow course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the memberís area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1.Education Ė Possess one of the following:
- Masterís degree in child development, early childhood education, human development, home economics/family and consumer studies with a specialization in child development/early childhood education or educational psychology with a specialization in child development/early childhood education; OR
- Bachelorís in any of the above
AND masterís degree in social work, educational supervision, elementary education, special education, psychology, bilingual/bicultural education, life management/home economics, family life studies or family and consumer studies; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructorís Credential in Child Development; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741Ė2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please apply online
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...