Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant Science
Closing Date/Time: 3/2/2018
Salary: $51,912.00 - $106,386.00 annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Stockton, CA
Department: Agriculture Science & Math
Under the general supervision of the Division Dean of Agriculture, Science and Mathematics, the Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant Science teaches organized classes primarily in the Horticulture discipline; the primary responsibility is to teach 15 units (per term) in the assigned discipline and courses in Plant Science as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Instruct courses in Horticulture/Plant Science in accordance with credit course outlines approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Maintain expertise in current teaching methods, discipline knowledge, and discipline specific technologies.
- Assist students in achieving stated course objectives. Evaluate the progress of each student and notify students in need of counseling services and/or tutorial assistance. Track student learning outcomes and maintain records of student learning outcomes.
- Participate in the departmental process of curriculum review, modification, and the assessment of student learning outcomes in order to make the program successful.
- Support the Division Dean in cooperating with campus and community groups to provide programs, courses, and information relevant to the needs of the students and various programs.
- Coordinate with other faculty in the selection of textbooks, audiovisual and other instructional materials.
- Complete various reporting procedures as required for student evaluation, course reporting, equipment and supply purchases and tracking, and budget development.
- Assist the Division Dean in the preparation of required reports by providing requested information.
- Attend various departmental, divisional and campus-wide activities and events as required.
- Plan and complete approved professional development flex activities each semester.
- Participate in the procurement and coordination of supplies, equipment and materials for the Horticulture and Plant Science program. Support and promote student participation in Horticulture events.
- Meet with Agriculture Advisory and Horticulture Committees and participate in the review of programs and curriculum.
- Assist with inventory records of equipment and maintain in proper operating condition. Maintain and supervise instructional facilities (for example, Horticulture Center- green house) as assigned.
- Promote and recruit Agriculture, Plant Science and Horticulture students from community high school programs
- Support and participate in the Delta College Horticulture, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Foundations.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Instructional Support Assistant.
- Collaborate with agricultural youth, leaders, and advisors in a variety of capacities including advisory committee service, event support, and curriculum.
- Perform other necessary duties as assigned by the Division Dean and as outlined in Board Policy.
- Bachelor's degree in Horticulture or Plant Science and two years of related experience with emphasis in Horticulture;
- Associate degree in Horticulture or Plant Science and six years of related experience with emphasis in Horticulture.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience in teaching postsecondary courses in Horticulture/Plant Science.
- Master's degree in Horticulture or Plant Science.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt teaching strategies and techniques to different levels of students' ability and learning styles.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt teaching strategies and techniques to students from different cultures and ethnic groups.
- Demonstrated ability to use innovative and creative teaching techniques and equipment, including the use of multimedia hardware and software and on-line instructional techniques.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing curriculum for discipline specific courses and/or programs.
- Demonstrated leadership, ability, and desire to stay current in the field.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work with business and industry in order to coordinate the educational program with the needs of the community.
- Interest in or knowledge of teaching online and other distance education courses.
- Interest in or knowledge of teaching courses in a large lecture setting.
- Demonstrated successful experience in landscaping and/or nursery industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work with advisory committees in the development and revision of curriculum, job placement strategies and program review.
- Have or be able to obtain a Pest Control Advisor License, Qualified Applicators License, Qualified Applicator Certificate.
- Maintain active membership in the California Agriculture Teachers Association
Information and Application Process Instructions
To apply, visit http://agency.governmentjobs.com/deltacollege/
The San Joaquin Delta Community College District provides access to its education programs and activities and makes all employment decisions without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected category. The Districtís prohibition against sex and gender discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual violence.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the San Joaquin Delta Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please apply online
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...