Director of Development
Pamplin College of Business
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Virginia Tech would like to invite applicants for the position of:
Director of Development, Pamplin College of Business, Posting #AP0170289.
The Director of Development in the Pamplin College of Business will solicit philanthropic gifts from alumni, parents, and friends of the college which align with the College's strategic priorities. This highly motivated professional will be involved with the planning and implementation of the College's major gift fund raising efforts in support of current operations, endowment, capital, and other priorities from private sources as Virginia Tech prepares for a comprehensive campaign. He/She will fulfill the duties under the direction of the college in close cooperation with the University's central advancement office.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Advancement in the Pamplin College of Business, the Director of Development will:
- Assist with fund-raising activities for the Pamplin College of Business within designated time frames.
- Travel, on average, five to eight days per month to cultivate, solicit, steward, and identify prospects for the Pamplin College of Business.
- Have a portfolio of between 75-100 prospects.
- Have typical solicitation ranges of $250,000 to $1,000,000+.
- Close $2,000,000 per year using a three-year rolling average.
- Close on average 10Ė13 gifts per fiscal year.
- Manage a team of three fundraisers on behalf of the College, including coaching and development of gift officers, 2 major gifts and one leadership gifts.
- Develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies which include building, managing, and soliciting a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Establish strong working relationships with central advancement, collegiate and constituent development officers and the College staff to foster a productive work environment.
- Work closely with the Assistant Dean of Advancement, Dean, department heads, program and center directors to develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies in support of their programs.
- Serve as a senior member of the Pamplin College of Business Advancement team and work closely with colleagues in Pamplin Alumni Relations and Communications as part of an integrated Advancement model.
- Bachelorís degree and significant fundraising experience or Masterís degree.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising, sales/marketing, advertising, public relations, communications or a related field.
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Individuals should demonstrate professionalism, with strong communication skills and be capable of motivating volunteers as well as donors.
- The successful candidate will be self-motivated and have the ability to work as a team member in a complex organization.
- Develop and implement strategies with increasing complexity.
- Demonstrated successful track record in fund raising.
- Preference given to candidates with experience in higher education fundraising.
- Preference for proven success in building productive, relationships with senior administrators, key business leaders, faculty, staff, institutional boards, volunteers, and/or donors.
- Previous major gifts experience working with progressively complex strategies and/or professional level consultative sales experience building relationships and soliciting business from clients and executives in industry.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Interested candidates must apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting #AP0170289. Include with the faculty application, a cover letter, resume, and list of five references. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodation in the application process please notify the Human Resources Service Center, 540-231-9331, HRServiceCenter@vt.edu.
A review of applications will begin after 2/21/18.
Virginia Tech is an EOE employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...