Otis College of Art and Design
Otis College of Art and Design is currently accepting applications for a Staff Counselor. The Staff Counselor provides multiculturally attuned clinical counseling services (i.e., therapy, assessment, crisis management, consultation, and outreach) to undergraduate and graduate students at Otis College. The Staff Counselor works collaboratively with the Counseling Director and Student Health & Wellness Center staff to facilitate and support overall student wellness and success. This position reports directly to the Student Health & Wellness Center Counseling Director. The ideal candidate is passionate about working with a diverse creative student population and takes a collaborative approach to working with students and colleagues. Expertise in working with international students is a strong plus.
This position may at times require a flexed work schedule. For example, schedule may vary and/or alternate from typical business hours (e.g., instead of 8:30am-5:00pm the schedule may flex to 10:30am-7:00pm). Some weekend hours may apply. The Staff Counselor should feel confident working independently and with a group.
- Maintains a multicultural perspective and sensitivity throughout all levels of his/her/their work.
- Provides short-term individual psychotherapy, crisis intervention, and case management.
- Uses clinical assessments as applicable to formulate diagnostic impressions and to track students' symptoms and progress in treatment.
- Works with the Student Health & Wellness Center team to develop outreach activities, screening programs, workshops, classes, and other services for students on a variety of health and wellness topics (i.e., depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, etc.).
- Provides consultation services for parents, faculty, and staff members regarding student related wellness and mental health issues, as requested.
- Determines, with supervisor, those students requiring a higher level of care and/or referrals and assists students in connecting with referrals as needed.
- Maintains timely and comprehensive counseling records in an electronic health record database.
- Responds to acute student mental health crises, sometimes involving hospitalization of the student. May handle after-hours student crisis telephone calls as back-up to the supervisor in their absence.
- Maintains mandatory licensing requirements on an annual basis.
- Attends and participates in staff development programs, department related meetings, and other college assemblies. Maintains appropriate network of professional contacts and currency with professional organizations and publications. Attends and participates in professional conferences.
- Represents the College and/or department, as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. Must be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
- A master’s degree in clinical or counseling psychology (i.e., LMFT, LCSW) from an accredited educational institution is required. California licensure is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of clinical experience is required, preferably in an education setting.
- Demonstrated experience working with students from diverse and/or underrepresented populations.
- Exceptional relationship building and listening skills.
- Exceptional oral, verbal, and written communication skills including demonstrated ability to deal with people respectfully with tact and diplomacy.
- Superb presentations skills in both small and large group settings.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is a must.
- Strong ability to analyze data, define problems, interpret facts and make appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in outreach programming.
- Knowledge of clinical evaluation techniques, computer programs and current research in the field.
- Ability to be flexible when needed to serve the needs of the department and student body.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Interested candidates must apply via Otis’ website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...