Assistant Professor - Web and User Experience Librarian
Western Carolina University, Hunter Library
Hunter Library at Western Carolina University seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, collaborative, and user-oriented librarian for the position of Web Development and User Experience Librarian.
This librarian will research, develop, and assess enhancements to the library’s web presence. The person in this position will design new sites and applications to improve the user experience in discovering, finding, and accessing library content and services.
Specific projects may include improving search functionality on the library homepage, developing virtual exhibits, supporting digital projects, or enhancing the user experience with existing services such as interlibrary loan, room reservation systems, chat reference, and course reserves. Projects will also likely include implementation of open source code created in other libraries, as well as integrating various APIs and third-party software.
The Web Development and User Experience Librarian will also be assigned other digital library projects as the need arises. This position supervises one Technology Support Analyst and may also supervise student employees.
- Providing vision and leadership in designing, developing and supporting the library website content and integrating it with the larger library web presence, which includes discovery tools, digital collections, and electronic resources
- Supervision of one technology support analyst, as well as staff/student employees engaged in related work, as assigned. Monitors workflow and deadlines.
- Day-to-day management, including programming and editorial recommendations, of the library’s web pages and intranet
- Serves as a member of the library’s web steering committee, an advisory group that includes representatives from across the library
- Development and implementation of web applications and tools, particularly for mobile environments
- Research and design of assessment measures such as usability testing in order to ensure that web services and applications are tailored for targeted user groups, including distance education students, on-site patrons, faculty members, and library staff
- Evaluation of data such as analytics to inform decision-making
- Collaboration with the library marketing committee to develop and implement web-based publicity and outreach strategies such as web graphics, videos, mobile applications, and interactive online sites
- Short and long-term strategic planning for and conceptualization of the Library’s online presence.
- Creation of appropriate procedures and training materials for library faculty and staff responsible for content creation and maintenance of web pages.
- Maintaining expertise in current web technologies, user experience and responsive design.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required for this Position:
- Graduate degree
- Strong leadership skills and ability to lead a web based electronic content management development team
- Familiarity with User Experience Design
- Familiarity with usability testing, WAI guidelines, and web analytics
- Familiarity with mobile platforms, applications, and design
- Familiarity with responsive design
- Familiarity with content management systems, intranets, and web servers
- Demonstrated flexibility and initiative
- Strong commitment to user-centered services and service excellence
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Ability to achieve tenure through effective job performance, service, and research
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or international equivalent in library or information science
- Academic library experience
- Demonstrated skills in User Experience Design
- Demonstrated experience with usability testing, WAI guidelines, and web analytics
- Demonstrated experience with mobile platforms, applications, and design
- Demonstrated experience developing responsive web pages or applications
- Demonstrated experience with content management systems, relational databases, and web servers
- Basic skills in graphic design
- Skills or interest in photography
- Experience with graphic design software
- Familiarity with a programming environment that includes languages such as ASP.NET, PHP, Python, or Ruby
Information and Application Process Instructions
- All applications must be made online at https://jobs.wcu.edu/postings/8310.
You will be required to attach a letter of application, resume and names and telephone numbers of three references.
For more information, contact Dr. Meredith Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-227-3399.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Western Carolina University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Please apply as included above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...