South Orange County Community College District
Irvine Valley College
Full Time, Tenure Track
Job Close Date: 02/20/2018
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instruct ESL courses, including all levels of non credit ESL and ESL writing courses (including language lab). Teaching position will include both day and evening classes, and may include program coordination responsibilities. Serve with other full-time ESL faculty as a resource person in the ESL Department for part-time faculty and for the college at large. Participate in program development and committee work. Participate in ESL Program responsibilities including, but not limited to, curriculum development and review, program review and Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), and course coordination. Participate in assessment and placement activities including validation of ESL assessment instruments, coordination and training of raters for the ESL Writing Assessment and holistic scoring of writing samples for student placement. Serve on college-wide committees and work with other departments and community partners to improve student success. Maintain currency in TESL.
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Master’s degree or higher in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND a Master’s degree in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bi-cultural studies, reading, speech, or any foreign language from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above .
• A minimum of two (2) years (full or part-time) recent and successful teaching experience in ESL at the college level. Experience must include teaching assignments at all levels of ESL, Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced.
• Knowledge and experience working with technology in the ESL classroom and/or ESL/language laboratory.
• Knowledge of current ESL teaching methodologies and language acquisition theories.
• Possession of native-speaker fluency in spoken and written English.
• Evidence of sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Community College teaching experience in ESL at all levels from basic skills through college preparation classes, especially non credit ESL (AESL).
• Familiarity with ESL course and program development and with ESL course, syllabus, and test design, especially non credit ESL (AESL) or VESL.
• Experience writing ESL curriculum, particularly non credit ESL courses
• Familiarity with ESL program/department coordination
• Knowledge of and experience in developing and maintaining student Learning Outcomes (SLOs).
• Experience in developing technology-based supplemental ESL curriculum/materials that can be used by students independently, such as in a lab or an online environment.
• Knowledge of ESL placement testing and methods and experience developing writing prompts for placement
• Knowledge of and experience with ESL assessment instruments, including CASAS
• Professional involvement in the field of TESL/ESL.
• Knowledge of and fluency in a language other than English.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- To Apply:
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...