Academic Advising - Coordinator of Academic Engagement
St. Lawrence University
St. Lawrence University seeks a Coordinator of Academic Engagement. Working in the Office of Academic Advising Programs and reporting to its Associate Dean, the Coordinator will work with second-semester first year students and sophomores on academic planning and will mentor students, including student-athletes, in integrating their academic and co-curricular experiences and goals, developing programming in concert with Athletics and Student Life as appropriate.
As a part of this work, the Coordinator will provide services to a diverse population of students across campus, including domestic students from under-represented backgrounds, international students, and students who work in conjunction with the Disabilities and Accessibility Services Office (DASO).
This is a continuing, full-time, eleven-month staff position. The Coordinator of Academic Engagement will:
- Engage in diverse aspects of advising, especially targeted at but not limited to second-semester first years and sophomores, including those on probation or otherwise in academic distress
- Develop programming related to sophomores and student-athletes, including working closely with Athletics and Student Life
- Direct the Academic Peer Tutoring program, hiring, training, and mentoring student peer tutors
- Supervise the student-led Peer Mentoring program, providing training, advice, and support to the peer mentors
- Serve as a member of the Academic Advising team, which includes the offices of Academic Development, Academic Support, DASO, Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP), CSTEP and McNair Scholars Program
- Support the Sophomore Success Initiative (working under the director of the Mellon Sophomore Journeys grant during the life of the grant), doing communications and outreach to faculty, students, and staff, coordinating the Saint Start Challenge program, sophomore seminars, and other programs developed as part of this initiative
- Teach a sophomore seminar, and potentially an additional course targeted at student-athletes
- Support other initiatives of the Academic Advising office targeted at student success, diversity, and student retention
- Master’s Degree in Education, English, Reading, Writing, or a related field required
- Teaching experience required, preferably with an emphasis on academic planning and communication skills development
- One-on-one experience with students, preferably within the contexts of academic advising and/or communication skills development and/or student-athlete mentoring
- Experience or familiarity with opportunity programs
- Experience working with students from diverse cultural backgrounds and with varied academic needs, including students with disabilities
- Three years of work experience in higher education preferred; three years of work in high school or related educational experience will be considered
- Supervisory experience preferred, especially working with work-study students
- Experience or familiarity with budgeting and payroll preferred
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Dr. Elun Gabriel at email@example.com.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at St. Lawrence University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...