Financial Aid Advisor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 1/25/2018
The Department of Financial Aid is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Financial Aid Advisor.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 175 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of technical functions related to financial aid, institutional scholarships, and related programs; to evaluate and prepare comprehensive financial aid packages; and to maintain and coordinate updates to relevant computer software systems.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of February 26, 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $4,471–$4,867 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 57, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inform and advise students and their families regarding eligibility and requirements for financial aid programs and scholarships; assist students with completion of required application and documentation; review and evaluate student financial aid files; disburse funds as appropriate.
- Analyze and evaluate the financial need of students using federal and state guidelines; review special circumstances requests and render decisions based on established criteria; participate in financial aid appeals.
- Provide technical expertise regarding student financial aid and scholarships to students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Verify eligibility requirements for financial aid and scholarship programs are met; perform monthly disbursement reconciliation; render professional judgment regarding financial aid eligibility adjustments.
- Utilize complex computer programs in the review, processing, recording and verification of statistical data; generate, verify and analyze computer reports to ensure accuracy with established requirements; reconcile financial and statistical data.
- Monitor and troubleshoot problems and issues related to the efficiency of automated financial aid and scholarship system software modules and related databases; serve as key technical advisor and coordinate solutions and recommendations with information systems staff.
- Liaison with office of instruction staff to ensure communication of newly approved programs and certificates through the State Chancellor’s office; ensure timely creation in the student system and program eligibility identification.
- Develop, maintain, and disseminate calendar of events and deadlines pertinent to financial aid and scholarships; perform periodic reconciliation of assigned financial aid and scholarship programs.
- Assure compliance with federal and state regulations and mandates related to record retention and destruction, and audit compliance.
- Apply financial aid expertise when assigned to specialized related programs; act as liaison with other departments and outside agencies in the processing, tracking and monitoring of program requirements and documentation.
- Attend and participate in professional development and training activities.
- Assist and support outreach staff at various functions and events as needed.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and timely reports; perform monthly and annual reconciliation of assigned programs.
- Hire, train, and assign work to student workers; process and review work study student timesheets; may function as work study coordinator as required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in accounting, business, general education, or a related field.
3. Two years of responsible financial aid experience.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...