Graphic Design Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/15/2018
Mission College, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is seeking a full-time, tenure track position for an instructor in the Graphic Design and Multimedia Department. The focus of the program is vocational and serves a diverse and mature student body. The department offers A.S. Degrees and certificate programs in Graphic Design and Graphic Arts, as well as certificate programs in Digital Illustration, Web Design, and Web Development.
The ideal candidate combines both industry and college level teaching experience with a passion for the design profession and a strong interest and understanding of design education from a contemporary international perspective. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply and join a committed group of faculty.
We are seeking applicants who have a deep understanding of graphic design principles and are fluent in industry standard techniques, processes and tools. Applicants should also be able to facilitate the success of their students both inside the classroom and beyond. Areas of expertise should include disciplines such as Visual Design, Layout, Typography, Digital Media and Branding/Corporate Identity. A working knowledge of Web/UI Design and Social media marketing is also desirable.
Additionally, the instructor is required to participate in the professional and academic work of the Graphic Design and Multimedia Department, the Division and the College.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2018. Instructional assignments may include day and/or evening classes, Monday thru Saturday, as needed, in the Graphic Design/Graphic Arts discipline. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
- Any bachelor’s degree or higher AND two years of professional graphic design experience; OR
- Any associate degree AND six years of professional graphic design experience.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, classes and office hour schedules.
- Follow course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the member’s area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...