DSS Student Success Specialist
Anne Arundel Community College
With learning as its central mission, Anne Arundel Community College has responded to the needs of a diverse community for more than 50 years by offering high quality, affordable and accessible learning opportunities. Established in 1961, AACC is a fully-accredited, public two-year institution that offers national and regional studies that can lead to a degree or certificate, industry credential, transfer to a four-year institution, or career enhancement, personal enrichment and lifelong learning.
The Disability Support Services (DSS) Student Success Specialist is responsible for assisting students with disabilities in all stages of the educational and career planning process. In accordance with applicable laws and policies, this position will make individualized determinations of appropriate and reasonable accommodations via documentation review and intake interviews. The Student Success Specialist will utilize a case management approach and will work in concert with the DSS team to ensure that students with disabilities have the accommodations necessary to ensure access to fully participate in college life. Through the assimilation of information from a variety of sources, the Student Success Specialist will provide guidance on course selection, interpretation of academic rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and intervention and referral to appropriate services and resources. This position will respond in a timely manner to accommodation-related issues by liaising with the student and faculty member. The DSS Student Success Specialist is expected to stay current with emerging trends and to employ a variety of strategies as they work to assist students with disabilities in accomplishing their goals.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist DSS students, at all AACC locations, via guided pathways to completion.
- Conduct/maintain student intakes.
- Meet with students by appointment and on an as-needed basis.
- Assist students in securing mandated accommodations.
- Serve as a liaison for academic advisors pertaining to disability-related matters.
- Serve as a liaison to faculty and staff in the provision of accommodations.
- Assist students with accommodations in navigating college policies and procedures.
- Meet regularly with DSS students to hone effective success strategies.
- Work collaboratively with faculty, staff and students to ensure appropriate accommodations are secured in a timely manner.
- Write ADA accommodation renewals for students who have submitted documentation of a qualifying disability and have received accommodations at AACC in the past.Contribute to weekly, monthly and annual reports, attend staff meetings and training sessions, work in concert and cooperation with other college departments, and serve on appropriate committees.
- Maintain the DSS inbox, mail box and assist with DSS calls.
- Maintain students' files with accurate and timely case notes.
- Conduct presentations to faculty and staff on best practices for working with students with disabilities.
- Assist/accompany counselors responding to crisis situations, as requested.
- Will work closely with Assistant Director to ensure DSS policies and procedures are reflecting current trends. Maintain the DSS note taker program/process.
- Immediately report concerns about students to the Assistant Director.
- Serve in the capacity of the Assistant Director when needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director or Dean.
For more information or to apply, please visit https://aacc.hiretouch.com
Anne Arundel Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Anne Arundel Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com