Illustration Assistant Professor, Tenure Track
California State University, Northridge
Faculty Hire Number: 18-47 Effective Date of Appointment: August 22, 2018
(Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Rank: Assistant Professor, Tenure Track
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications
About the University:
One of the largest universities in the country, California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is an urban, comprehensive university that delivers award-winning undergraduate and graduate programs to nearly 40,000 students annually and counts more than 330,000 alumni who elevate Southern California and beyond. Since its founding in 1958, CSUN has made a significant and long-term economic impact on California, generating nearly $1.9 billion in economic impact and more than 11,700 jobs each year. The LAEDC recognized CSUN as its 2015 Eddy Award winner for its positive economic impact. Serving more students on Pell Grants than any other institution in California, CSUN is also a social elevator and one of the most diverse universities in the country. CSUN ranks 13th in awarding bachelor’s degrees to traditionally underserved students and enrolls the largest number of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing students of any U.S. state university. The journal Nature recently named CSUN a Rising Star for scientific research, and the NSF ranks CSUN in the top five nationally among similar institutions for graduates who go on to earn doctorates in the sciences. CSUN is where individuals rise and through them, so does Greater Los Angeles and beyond.
About the College:
Comprised of the Departments of Art; Cinema and Television Arts; Communication Studies, Journalism, Music, and Theater, The Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication is inspired by the shared belief that art is communication, that communication is an art, and that art and communication are essential pillars for building and maintaining community.
About the Department:
The Art Department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design to offer the BA, MA, and MFA in Art. CSUN is located about 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles in metropolitan Los Angeles County. The Art Department counts approximately 900 undergraduate art majors, 30 graduate students, 22 full-time faculty, and 70 part-time instructors. A full range of fine arts and professional programs is offered and a nationally recognized art gallery is located in the Art & Design Center.
CSUN’s Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, check visit website at: http://www.csun.edu
The Art Department at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of Illustration, with an appointment starting in Fall 2018. The candidate will be qualified to teach BA, BFA, MA and MFA level courses in Illustration. This appointment is a teaching assignment with a typical teaching load of three studio art classes each semester plus weekly office hours, attendance at faculty and area meetings, participation in other professional activities, and service to the department, college, university, and community. The successful candidate will contribute to a dynamic illustration program with a track record of growth and distinction derived from awards earned by its students, the successful art careers of its alumni, and the professional achievements of its faculty. The candidate must effectively teach and facilitate an illustration curriculum for students who have different career goals in various Illustration markets including entertainment, editorial, book, merchandising, advertising and gallery. Typical course assignments include the teaching of traditional and digital illustration. Faculty members are responsible for creative activity and/or scholarly research recognized by peer review, professional activity (currency in the field) and advising and mentoring students.
- An MFA degree in Illustration or appropriate area from an accredited institution or foreign equivalency, or BFA with significant professional illustration experience and national recognition as an illustrator is required.
- College or university level teaching experience is required.
- Experience as a practicing, published professional level illustrator with a record of creative achievement is required.
- Professional level experience with digital technology as an image-creator including proficiency in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator is required.
- Current knowledge of issues related to professional business practices and resources and portfolio development is required.
- Applicants must demonstrate commitment, ability and experience in working, teaching and mentoring a diverse student population.
- Knowledge of the historical and contemporary artists and events that have shaped the field of illustration is required.
- Ability to coordinate the illustration area including course scheduling, part time faculty recruitment and scheduling, equipment needs and technology improvements is preferred.
- An understanding of curriculum and course development is preferred.
- Ability to lecture effectively and conduct studio demonstrations in methods and media, and develop and update teaching materials is preferred.
- Excellent skills in observation-based and imagined art, innovative thinking, visual communication, concept development, creative problem solving and technique are preferred.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Application Review Begins:
Screening of applications will begin January 22, 2018. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline. However, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply (Digital):
This institution is using Interfolio¹s ByCommittee to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge to: https://apply.interfolio.com/47686
Application Procedures (Interfolio.com digital upload for the following):
- Letter of Application summarizing your qualifications for this position
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two samples of current or proposed illustration syllabi with assignments/lesson plans
- 15-20 examples of professional/creative artwork and 15-20 examples of student work.
- Labeled digital slides (image size: 150 ppi or 3 mb each) in PDF format. Video clips should be submitted via a link in your application documents and Interfolio via YouTube or Vimeo
- Three letters of recommendation sealed and mailed directly to the Art Department (Please see instructions below)
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Hard Copy Letters of Recommendation should be addressed and sent to:
Illustration Search and Screen Committee
Department of Art
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91330-8300
*Note: In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide verification of terminal degrees, licenses and certificates.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at (818) 677-2101.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State University, Northridge and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...