Associate Director, Reynolds Center
Arizona State University
Campus: Downtown Phoenix †
Requisition Id# 37495BR
Salary Range: †
Depends on experience †
Close Date: †
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University seeks an Associate Director for the Donald W. Reynolds Center for Business Journalism, which provides training and support to business journalists around the world. The associate director plans, organizes and directs day-to-day operations of the center, reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of the Cronkite School.
- Supervises a full-time staff member who manages the centerís website and social media channels
- Hires, supervises and edits contract writers who report on business, finance and the economy for the centerís website and social media channels.
- Plans and manages signature events that include the annual Barlett & Steele Awards for investigative business journalism and Strictly Financials workshops for business journalists at locations around the country
- Oversees the Cronkite Schoolís Masters in Business Journalism, an online graduate degree program
- Supervises graduate students who contribute content for the Reynolds website, businessjournalism.org.
- Oversees strategy and execution of marketing materials for the center
- Oversees and participates in planning, developing and administering the centerís budget
- Prepares financial and administrative reports, analyzes and interprets statistics, financial data, and management planning data for predicting resource needs and developing long-range plans.
- Represents the center and the Cronkite School to external constituents and liaisons with national business organizations and leading business journalists
- Works with other departments across the university to develop interdisciplinary efforts
- Performs other duties as assigned
Our office is located at 555 North Central Avenue, Phoenix. Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work;† frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University is widely recognized as one of the nationís premier professional journalism programs. The school, which was named in Cronkiteís honor in 1984, prepares the next generation of journalists in both the time-honored fundamentals embraced by Cronkite and the multimedia skills necessary to thrive as journalists in the digital age. Housed in a $71 million state-of-the-art media complex in downtown Phoenix, the school has been featured in The New York Times and The Times of London as a leader in 21st century journalism education. It is the home of Arizona PBS, the Carnegie-Knight News 21 initiative and the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism. The Cronkite School offers 13 professional programs, including a nightly television news broadcast, digital news bureaus in Washington and Phoenix, sports bureaus in Los Angeles and Phoenix, a strategic public relations agency, an entrepreneurial digital innovation lab, a digital production bureau, a business bureau and a Spanish-language news bureau.†
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND seven (7) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Eleven (11) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic individual who can develop and execute new initiatives while managing and delivering the centerís core programs at a high level.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Knowledge and experience editing and preparing copy for distribution
- Knowledge and experience in business journalism
- Skill in effectively managing, supervising and evaluating assigned staff
- Knowledge and experience managing a website and social media distribution of content
- Knowledge and experience developing and executing content marketing strategies
- Knowledge and experience planning and executing events
- Knowledge and experience managing a budget
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position. Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
As part of your application, please also submit a cover letter describing how your experiences will benefit the Cronkite School.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Staff job opportunities, see Req Id# 37495BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=3291933
ASU Statement: †
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. †
Background Check Statement: †
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check. †
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Arizona State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Arizona State University
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...