Financial Aid Specialist
Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Financial Aid, this position assists in the planning, organization and coordination of financial aid functions of the college; assists and advises in the formulation, revision and implementation of office procedures; acts as lead for other personnel assigned to the financial aid office and performs related work as assigned. Supports the development of ad-hoc reports and perform duties of a sensitive and confidential nature.
Essential Job Functions:
- This position manages a caseload of student’s files, assesses an individual student’s financial need, and ascertains the student’s eligibility to participate in federal, state and/or institutional aid programs.
- This position serves as support for COD functions.
- The Financial Aid Specialist provides counseling to students on the manner of integrating their financial concerns, relative to personal and/or academic problems.
- Analyzes financial information submitted by students and assists students or parents in the preparation of pertinent forms.
- Conducts financial aid workshops/conferences and assist in completion of internal and external reports.
- Evaluates the academic status of each applicant; keeps abreast of current federal regulations and guidelines pertaining to the student financial aid program.
- Verifies student files selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education and makes electronic corrections to the Department of Education, processes consortium agreements, social security waivers, evaluates Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals, Special Circumstances Appeals and supervises work study students.
- The candidate must be able to utilize various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, and word processing to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- As a requirement of this position, Baltimore City Community College will expect the candidate to provide evening and weekend coverage, conduct financial aid presentations and participate in the recruitment activities of the college.
Scope of Responsibility:
The candidate must have experience and knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations, policies, procedures and excellent customer service skills.
On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
Does not direct the activities of staff or a function.
This position requires excellent customer service skills, organizational, interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills.
Must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree Experience:
- This position requires at least 3 years of experience working in a customer-oriented Financial Aid Office, knowledge of federal financial aid regulations, and proficiency in the use of the U.S. Department of Education’s software systems such as Common Origination and Disbursement (COD), FAA Access and the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) and experience with financial aid management systems.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and/or word processing required. Knowledge of MS Office Suite, the internet and student data systems required.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for this position, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...