Payroll Specialist, full-time (One or more positions)
South Orange County Community College District
Initial Screening Date: 1/08/2018
Open Until Filled,
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under general supervision from supervisory or management staff, performs the full range of technical tasks supporting the preparation, processing and auditing of District payroll; applies current federal and state regulations as well as county and District policies in the preparation of payroll; and provides specific payroll information to faculty, staff and students.
Employees within this class are distinguished from the Senior Payroll Specialist in that the latter serves as a lead supervisor over lower level payroll processing staff. Employees at the Payroll Specialist level are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Positions in this class series may be filled by advancement from lower level accounting classifications, or when filled from the outside, require prior experience.
- Pertinent federal, state, county and District laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Principles, practices and methods of accounting, auditing and financial record keeping.
- School district payroll systems and procedures.
- Public retirement systems as they apply to payroll processing.
- Computer applications and software used in payroll processing.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Learn various software packages for implementation and application.
- Perform difficult payroll work requiring independent judgment and initiative.
- Interpret and apply federal, state and District policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Maintain an accurate database for payroll reporting, related deductions and employee benefits.
- Respond to inquiries and requests for information related to payroll and employee benefits.
- Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality regarding critical and sensitive information, records, and reports.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Understand and follow oral and written communications.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in payroll, accounting, bookkeeping or a related field.
Two years of responsible payroll and/or accounting experience.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- To Apply:
Please visit the Districtís Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application. †
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. †
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...