The Staff Associate conducts research and testing of all types of structures, materials, structural elements, and prepares laboratory reports. Incumbent reports to the Director of Research for the Carleton Laboratory. He/she will serve as liaison with the local engineering community and assist in the preparation of proposals for the laboratory testing and research projects in concert with the Director of Research.
The duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Provide a rich teaching facility for educational support of students at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including B.S. and M.S. courses, as well as Ph.D. and Eng.Sc.D. research support.
- Mentor, train, supervise undergraduate and graduate (non-PhD) students performing work in laboratory in concert with Associate Manager and Associate Research Scientist.
- Support Director in providing community and University outreach through outreach programs, tours, orientations, etc.
- Manage/supervise technical staff including the Associate Manager, Associate Research Scientist/s,Senior Lab Technician, Lab Assistants and Senior Lab Assistants.
- Maintenance, certification, and updating of laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Develop and enforce safety and training compliance for all laboratory users: laboratory access database, formal training programs for each piece of laboratory equipment, maintain regulatory compliance pursuant to OSHA, FDNY, EH&S, and EPA.
- In concert with Associate Manager: perform purchasing and maintain laboratory budgets, maintain Carleton Laboratory recharge center (restricted license protocols) and develop and maintain Carleton Laboratory website.
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics (or similar field). Excellent interpersonal skills.
M.S. preferred. Experience preferred, but not required
Please apply directly at: academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=65538.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Columbia University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com