Assistant Professor in African American Studies and Digital Studies
Grand Valley State University
Job Description: Area and Global Studies, an academic unit in The Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies at Grand Valley State University, invites applications for a full time, jointly appointed, tenure-track assistant professorship in African American Studies (2/3) and Digital Studies (1/3).
We seek highly qualified candidates who will contribute to the growth of these programs and enhance the intellectual diversity of the unit by complementing existing expertise in the unit.
Areas of expertise could include: global black experience; African American social thought; contemporary black/African American social movements; black women’s culture and communities; black feminist thought; race and/or ethnicity; inequality, immigration, health, art and material expressions, criminal justice, public and social policy as they are relevant to Black/African American Studies; digital cultures and identities; social media and communication.
The successful applicant must be committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service.
- Ph.D. in African American Studies or related field by August 6, 2018
- Ability to complement existing expertise in the unit
- Academic qualifications necessary to teach core courses in African American Studies and GVSU Digital Studies program.
- Demonstrated success in teaching about the African American and black experience
- Demonstrated familiarity with a wide range of digital technologies or cultures for example in the use of social media.
- Demonstrated record of scholarly/creative achievement in an appropriate area.
- Ability to contribute to an additional existing interdisciplinary program within the college, particularly Human Rights, Middle East Studies, East Asian Studies, Global Studies and Social Impact, or Latin American and Latino/a Studies.
- Demonstrated local, national or international engagement with the African American and/or black experience.
- Experience teaching interdisciplinary courses that use technology in innovative ways.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will teach introductory and advanced level courses in African American Studies (AAA) and Digital Studies (DS) and develop new courses relating to their interests. In a typical academic year, the successful candidate will teach four courses in AAA and two courses in DS. Faculty members are required to demonstrate excellence in teaching, maintain an active research agenda and show service to the programs, department, college, and university community. Ordinarily, tenure-track faculty members teach three courses a semester.
Salary: Competitive Salary and benefits package
Department/Division: Area and Global Studies / Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
How to apply: Apply on line at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter addressing required and preferred qualifications, separate teaching and research statement not to exceed two pages each along with curriculum vitae including the names, phone numbers and email addresses of three academic references. A writing sample of research and syllabi of courses taught should also be uploaded with the other materials to the job site. Three letters of reference should be sent directly by mail to Dr. Steeve Buckridge, Director and Search Committee Chair, Area and Global Studies, 101 LOH, Allendale, MI 49401-9403. For any questions contact the Area and Global Studies office at 616-331-8110. Please visit our website for more information at www.gvsu.edu/areastudies.
Deadline Date: All application materials must be received by mid-night, January 2, 2018.
Grand Valley State University
Allendale, Michigan 49401
For more information about Grand Valley State University, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
In a continuing effort to diversify our campus community, we actively encourage applications from people of color, women, veterans, people of diverse sexual identities/orientations, and persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute positively to the diversification of ideas and perspectives.
Grand Valley State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution
TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 1-800-649-3777
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Grand Valley State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com