Full-Time Faculty, Foundation Program
Otis College of Art and Design
Otis College of Art and Design is accepting applications for a full-time faculty appointment in the Foundation department. This position is responsible for teaching first-year art and design fundamentals. This 2-D position reports to the Area Head for 2-D and the Chair of Foundation.
2 primary courses in Foundation 2-D: Principles of Design, a first semester course, introduces
beginning students to the elements and principles of Art and Design. Students develop 2-D compositional skills and learn both analogue and digital modes of making. Coursework includes historical and contemporary research and critical analysis of nonobjective works.
Connections through Color and Design in Foundation, the second semester course in 2-D introduces students to color mixing and various theories about color in both additive and subtractive color spaces. Students work with a variety of source material: drawing, photography and found imagery. Also Included in this course is a module supported by the Creative Action Program that provides students an opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in a real-world context.
Otis offers competitive compensation and benefits. Initial placement in rank is recommended by the Chair and requires review and approval of the Chair of the Rank & Promotion Committee and the Provost. The College does not grant faculty tenure; this is a renewable full-time faculty appointment subject to annual renewal based on a performance review. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2018.
The Foundation program provides aesthetic fundamentals training to first-year students seeking BFA degrees. It spans the four years of the students BFA.
For more information about programs offered in Foundation and Liberal Arts and Sciences at Otis College of Art and Design, visit our websites at: http://www.otis.edu/foundation and
- Hold a full-time contact hour load and teach a minimum of 18 contact hours per week.
- Provide a minimum of 6 hours on average per week in service to the Foundation Department.
- College wide contribution (i.e., serving on college-wide committees, attending faculty meetings, area meetings and final reviews) as assigned by the Chair.
- Mentor students in assigned classes including student advisement and counseling of at-risk students. Interface with Foundation office regarding student warnings and referrals.
- Provide guidance and direction to Classroom Assistants.
- Participate in administrative duties such as documentation of student attendance, syllabus preparation and submission of final grades in a timely manner.
- Provide student work documentation to database for assessment and images appropriate for other venues.
- Enhance the visibility of the department through on- and off-campus events and other duties assigned by the chair.
- MFA degree in art/design required.
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience in higher education (see also below).
- Demonstrated ability to teach first-year art and design fundamentals with expertise in color theory.
- Demonstrated ability to teach design through both analogue and digital formats, including; color theory, collage and basic 2-D design principles. Experience in teaching using photography, video, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Professional standing as a practicing/exhibiting artist and/or designer
- Must be able to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body and as a team member of the Foundation professional artists/educators.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- At least 5 years college-level teaching experience in Foundation and/or upper division design courses in an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a successful course of study.
- Preference will be given to applicants able to teach in other areas of the program.
- Willingness to learn and teach html coding and/or other web based languages.
Interested candidates must apply via Otis' website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com