Part-Time Wood/Metal Shop Technician
Otis College of Art and Design
Under the direction of a senior technician and/or manager, the Part-Time Wood/Metal Shop Technician performs a variety of skilled work involving wood, metal, and other materials. The Technician operates machinery and general shop equipment and tools to provide instructional safety demonstrations, product fabrication assistance, and other forms of technical support for students and faculty. Other duties include maintenance of machine and overall shop cleanliness; inventorying of equipment/supplies; and adherence and enforcement of safety policies and protocols. The work schedule averages on 20-25 hours per week. The work schedule will be developed to accommodate staffing the facility and will require evening and/or weekend hours. This position reports directly to the Wood/Metal Shop & Studios Manager.
- Provides students and/or faculty with technical assistance and/or guidance in the operation of general machine shop equipment. Assists with mechanical and electrical machinery malfunctions.
- Performs safety demonstrations and enforces proper shop protocols and procedures. May help identify additional training which would benefit students and/or faculty.
- Assists students and/or faculty to design, fabricate, and/or adapt parts for classroom projects. Assists students and/or faculty with operation of tools and equipment while in the shop and ensures adherence to internal operating policies and procedures and external regulations (i.e., OSHA operating standards.)
- Operates specialized hand and power tools and equipment in accordance with health and safety regulations. Inspects, monitors, and/or repairs general machine shop equipment to keep in proper working order. Maintains and services tools as needed. Makes recommendations on new and replacement equipment to upper management.
- Maintains inventory of frequently used supplies. Helps maintain accurate shop records. Checks tools in and out to students and faculty.
- Promotes and maintains a safe, clean, and organized working environment for self and others. Cleans up job site following work completion.
- Attends departmental meetings, trainings, and workshops to maintain currency with and understanding of all policies and procedures related to the Shop, the College, and other outside regulatory agencies.
- Maintains current knowledge and best practices on new tools, equipment, and technological advances.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Interested candidates must apply via Otisí website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com