Assistant Chair, Fashion Design
Otis College of Art and Design
The Assistant Chair works closely with the Department Chair to perform a full range of administrative planning and programmatic implementations, including addressing workflow redundancies and maximizing shared resources. The Assistant Chair acts as a department liaison with the Otis community and establishes/maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, college faculty and staff, students, and the public. The Assistant Chair assists in maintaining the quality of work executed within the program, engaging faculty members in curricular and year-end show evolution work, and engaging with outside partners, employers, and mentors as needed. This position reports directly to the Department Chair.
- Teaches courses in the program and develops curricula in areas of expertise. Reviews and evaluates student portfolios and supports appropriate academic standards.
- Assists Chair, in overseeing the department’s mentor program, including preparing research materials, working with faculty and students to stay on direction and meet deadlines, reviewing student work to maintain department standards, communicating with Design and Illustration instructors regarding all issues relating to the mentor projects and design labs, and securing responsiveness from faculty to department and college administrative needs (i.e. assessment documents, syllabi, rubrics, attendance records, weekly progress reports and student warnings).
- Assists with the management of Faculty and the meeting of their respective responsibilities.
- Assists the Chair as needed with faculty and student relations by resolving requests or problems referred to the department. Meets with concerned parties to discuss requests or complaints and determines best course of action for effective resolution, as appropriate.
- Supports the Chair in faculty hires; ensures that all related documents are prepared correctly and on schedule.
- Collaborates with the Academic Projects Manager to develop rubrics. Makes schedule adjustments, manages classrooms, maintains accurate course descriptions for the College catalog, website and ensures that all departmental changes are correctly recorded in the catalogue and schedule of classes.
- Supports the Academic Projects Manager regarding accreditation concerns including documentation, archiving, and the achieving of course learning outcomes (CLOs) as related to program learning outcomes (PLOs) and institutional learning outcomes (ILOs).
- Serves on various committees or task forces to coordinate department activities/programs and facilitate College-wide goals and initiatives. Makes presentations, as requested by the Chair.
- Assists in planning the Annual Jury Show and Scholarship Benefit Show, including supervising all backstage coordination of models, staff and students for both the day and night shows, attending all fittings and reviewing styling and accessories with each team, assisting in fittings and accessorizing models by mentor project, contributing to all visual displays, numbering show and writing garment descriptions for jury ballot, hiring and directing hair and makeup artists and coordinating and overseeing hair and makeup schedules, and troubleshooting backstage problems and maintaining order backstage.
- Performs summer duties in preparation for the coming academic year, including developing schedule for upcoming school year for junior and senior mentor projects, researching potential mentors, developing press kit for mentors, reviewing student portfolios, working on internships and employment opportunities for students and preparing current photos, and illustrations for website to show progress of the fashion department. Development of new curriculum changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned. On occasion, must be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours.
BFA required, Masters preferred. Teaching experience required. At least 8 to 10 years industry experience needed.
Information and Application Process Instructions
How to Apply: Interested candidates must apply via Otis’ website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...