Otis College of Art and Design
The Department Assistant for the Art + Social Practice emphasis area within Graduate Fine Arts performs administrative duties and processes budget transactions. This position reports directly to the Chair of Graduate Fine Arts, and closely coordinates with the Area Head for Art + Social Practice.
- Monitors budgets and helps track emphasis area expenditures. May assist in developing budget projections and proposals. Reconciles statements and pays invoices. Interfaces with Purchasing, external vendors, and/or the Business Office to verify transactions, resolve discrepancies, and maintain an adequate inventory of supplies.
- Organizes and expedites flow of work through the Art + Social Practice curriculum. Initiates follow-up action.
- Screens and prioritizes incoming calls. Responds to inquiries or requests for information or refers to supervisor, as appropriate.
- Performs administrative duties associated with scheduling and coordinating meetings and planning special events. May prepare agendas, gather and organize supporting information/supplies, track expenditures, and/or oversee production and distribution of materials. May arrange with vendors for services, site, facilities, catering, guest accommodations, travel arrangements, etc. Attends functions to ensure satisfactory outcome.
- Collects payroll paperwork for faculty, staff, and/or students. Interfaces with Human Resources and Payroll to resolve problems. Ensures confidentiality and controls access to sensitive information such as faculty contracts, staff records, and other departmental files.
- Prepares, processes, and/or reviews paperwork (i.e., faculty contracts, evaluations, department orders, check requests, requisitions, etc.) May prepare and process travel advances, cash advances, and reimbursements for faculty and/or staff. May track equipment purchases and obtain maintenance contracts.
- Composes and produces a variety of business correspondence, reports, confidential documents and/or forms, and related materials.
- Serves as an internal resource and liaison to faculty, administrators, staff, and/or students. Researches and gathers data/information, as requested. Maintains currency on revisions to department and/or College policies and procedures.
- Maintains Art + Social Practice-related records. Enters and/or verifies data entered into a centralized system.
- May help maintain the Art + Social Practice areaís webpage including content, graphical and multimedia displays and communications. Tests, maintains, and ensures functionality of links. Monitors website for consistency and compliance with College standards.
- May supervise student workers. Provides guidance and direction. Schedules, assigns or prioritizes workloads. Approves timesheets. Sets appropriate deadlines as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelorís degree required or combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
A minimum of 3 years of experience performing secretarial, clerical, or administrative work involving budget, financial, or payroll responsibilities is required. Position requires strong organizational skills, research skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and diplomatic interpersonal skills.
Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office suite required. Proficiency in basic bookkeeping or accounting principles desired.
Working knowledge of Banner and other related databases is preferred. Past supervisory experience preferred.
Must be able to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Interested candidates must apply via Otisí website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...