Assistant Professor of Data Science and Computer Science
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
This is a full-time, nine month, tenure-track undergraduate/graduate faculty position (100%) at the rank of Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and will demonstrate strong interests and ability to teach an array of undergraduate and graduate courses in Data Science and Computer Science. Opportunities exist for optional summer employment through teaching, research grants, internship supervision and other funding sources. Appointment date: August 2018.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach introductory and advanced data science and computer science courses at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Engage in program/curricula development and student learning outcomes assessment
- Engage in research and scholarly activity and publish results in peer-reviewed journals
- Advise graduate and undergraduate Computer Science and Data Science majors
- Engage in high-impact educational practices such as faculty-student collaborative research and/or global education and/or developing and supporting external partnerships
- Provide service to department, college, university, and the profession
- Ph.D. in Data Science, Computer Science or a related area from an accredited institution. Applicants who have finished course work and are still working on their dissertation may be considered for a conditional appointment and must complete their Ph.D. by the start of 2018-2019 academic year.
- Strong interest in and ability to teach an array of undergraduate and graduate classes in both Data Science and Computer Science.
- Ability to teach in at least two of the four topics of Data Exploration and Analysis, Data Visualization, Data Storage and Retrieval, and Applied Machine Learning.
- Strong interest in and ability to provide academic advising to undergraduate and graduate students
- Interest in and ability to advise co-curricular activities such as student clubs/organizations, and internships
- Strong interest in and ability to supervise undergraduate and graduate research.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to diverse student populations and ability to contribute to the University's commitment to enhancing student awareness and appreciation of diverse cultures, backgrounds, and identities.
- Experience or interest in writing and submitting grant requests
- Teaching experience: Evidence of teaching effectiveness (most recent student evaluations and peer observations)
To Apply: Online applications are REQUIRED at: https://jobs.uwrf.edu/
Applications must include: 1) a letter of interest, detailing exactly how your qualifications and experience fit with the needs stated above, (2) a current vita (3) an unofficial graduate transcript (official copy will be required if hired), (4) the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three references who can specifically comment upon your teaching and research abilities and professional preparation (please note we are not asking for recommendation letters.) (5) Evidence of teaching effectiveness which should include a statement of teaching philosophy and may also include recent copies of student and/or peer evaluations.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com