Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
School of Arts & Sciences
Alfred State SUNY College of Technology
About Alfred State College:
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth.
Dean of Arts and Sciences
The Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, who reports directly to the Provost, is responsible for leading over 70 faculty and staff. The school, with an annual budget of about $3 million dollars, includes six departments (Agriculture and Veterinary Technology, English and Humanities, Mathematics/Physics, Physical and Life Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Nursing) offering 25 programs at both the Associates and Bachelor's degree level. The Dean serves on the President's Council, Dean's Council and Academic Affairs Collaboration Team.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and facilitates implementation of the strategic plan, aligning school goals and mission with institutional priorities.
- Provides support for the recruitment, development and retention of the faculty, staff, and students of the school.
- Advocates for the school within the college.
- Guides and supports departments as they develop and expand associate and baccalaureate programs.
- Expands and improves the school's technological facilities, the Center for Organic and Sustainable Agriculture, and health related programs.
- Represents the school within SUNY and with regional and national accrediting agencies.
- Promotes the development and implementation of the college's general education curriculum consistent with SUNY and MSCHE Guidelines.
- Expands opportunities for students to study abroad and international students to study at Alfred State.
- Is responsible for external fund raising and grant writing in coordination with the office of Institutional Research, Planning and Effectiveness.
- Works with departments outside of the school to coordinate the integration of liberal arts into technology-based programs.
- Embodies Alfred State's core values and is committed to creating an environment where Alfred State principles of community are the model for student and faculty interaction.
- Evaluates non-tenured faculty and staff.
- Manages fiscal resources of the school and contributes to discussions relative to the college budget to best serve students.
Additional Information: Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a letter of interest and CV.
For further information and To Apply:
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Alfred State SUNY College of Technology and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com