Director and Associate/Full Professor - Center for International Education
College of Education
University of Massachusetts Amherst
The College of Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a position as the Director of the Center for International Education. This is a full-time position with a rank of associate or full professor. The preferred start date is September 1, 2018.
We seek candidates who have a strong record of obtaining and leading externally funded projects. We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with/for large and small Non-Governmental Organizations (e.g. Save the Children) as well as government-funded organizations such as USAID, DFID, the World Bank, the World Health Organization, etc. Applicants with extensive experience working on large-scale (multi-million dollar) international contracts/projects including the management of project/graduate assistants and other personnel are encouraged to apply.
We encourage applications from individuals who have strong training in international and comparative education or a related social science discipline and who conduct research with the goal of improving education and educational equity in developing and emerging economies. We are looking for candidates with a commitment to advising and mentoring graduate students from a wide range of countries, backgrounds and interests. The program is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and especially encourages applications from underrepresented minorities.
- Seek external funding and engage in outreach
- Teach courses in the College of Education
- Maintain an active research agenda
- Contribute to the department, college, and university in service and leadership roles
- Doctorate from an accredited university in education or related social science discipline with an emphasis in international and/or comparative education
- Strong record of obtaining grants, awards, and contracts
- Experience with innovative institutional collaborations with international organizations, foundations and/or communities
- Record of publication for both professional and academic audiences (to include agency reports, policy briefs, white papers, and academic journals) appropriate to the rank of full or associate professor
- Experience in project design, management, and monitoring/evaluation in an international education context
- Interest in connecting, leveraging, and growing the international research of the College
- Demonstrated experience, or interest, in teaching; evidence of, or interest in, working collaboratively on research
- Demonstrated leadership in education at national and international levels
The Center for International Education (CIE) is housed in the College of Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. CIE offers short-term training, research opportunities, and project management and implementation in the areas of international development education; education policy, planning, and leadership; reform of teacher education policy, pre-service, and in-service training; professional development; and education in fragile states. CIE has more than four decades of experience and has managed, as prime or sub-contractor, close to $50 million of contract work. Current projects are based in the U.S., Afghanistan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo; past projects were based in Afghanistan, Palestine, Senegal and The Gambia, Southern Sudan, Malawi, Uganda, Nepal, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lesotho, and Swaziland.
Special Application Instructions:
Review of candidate will begin October 27, 2017, and will continue until a qualified candidate is identified.
To apply, please submit a complete application package online to:
Include a cover letter addressed to Dr. Jennifer Randall, chair of Director of Center for International Education Search, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, at least one recent publication, and, if possible, evidence of teaching effectiveness and mentoring.
Only complete applications will be considered. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Jennifer Randall at email@example.com.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com