Vice President, Student Affairs Stevenson University
Posting Number: 201200607P
Department: Student Affairs: Admin
The Vice President Student Affairs (VPSA) provides strategic senior leadership, vision and direction for a holistic student affairs program, and is a senior member of the University management team, reporting directly to the President. At a pivotal moment in the university's history, the Vice President will be responsible for taking a collaborative leadership role in advancing student success and achievement, formulating comprehensive plans for students' social engagement and integration in the university community, creating a facilities master plan to support social engagement and integration efforts, further advancing student participation in the university's career preparation programs, supporting enrollment and philanthropic goals and uniting our diverse community as one while showing appropriate respect and sensitivity to the needs of individual and intersectional communities. In the context of these critical goals, this hands-on position must establish, implement and sustain infrastructure needed to lead student affairs best practices, and manage and oversee all aspects of student affairs operations, policies, programs, and services. The VPSA manages a department of professional staff members in health and counseling services, student conduct, multicultural experience, residence life and housing, and student activities.
As the University's chief student affairs officer, the Vice President for Student Affairs works closely with the President, and collaboratively with the Cabinet, Deans, Faculty, Staff and the Board of Trustees' Student Affairs Committee to identify strategic goals and priorities of the University and the Student Affairs Division. The Vice President works collaboratively with all members of the university to implement these goals and priorities.
- Provide strategic leadership and policy development, long-range and annual planning, and implement and evaluate programs and activities designed to meet Stevenson's strategic student affairs goals.
- Collaborate with the President and other senior leaders to develop and implement annual student affairs goals and strategies that align with the University's strategic priorities and financial strategies.
- Provide strategic leadership, coordination, oversight and planning of the division's staff in the development of comprehensive policies, programs and procedures for all student affairs functions including health and counseling services, student conduct, multicultural experience, residence life and housing, and student activities.
- Develop and administer the Student Affairs budget, including forecasting, planning, and monitoring of expenditures.
- Provide leadership for student affairs personnel, facilities and fiscal resource management. Collaborate with the Provost to promote a comprehensive learning environment that fosters the personal, professional and intellectual development of a diverse student population.
- Promote positive student relations by maintaining effective lines of communication with student leaders and serving as an advocate for the extra-curricular and co-curricular needs of students.
- Collaborate with the President and the Vice President for Enrollment Management to support the university's outreach to prospective students and enrollment goals.
- Collaborate with the President and the Vice President for University Advancement to further develop a culture of philanthropy for students and their parents.
- Ensure that all programs and services in the Division of Student Affairs comply with relevant Federal, State, and Local, laws and regulations, and University policies.
- Oversee the routine assessment of student services through national and in-house surveys and make improvements where needed.
- Maintain current knowledge of Student Affairs best practices and social engagement trends to evaluate, develop and implement enhanced programming to engage students.
- Promote Study Abroad programs to provide opportunities.
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs to support students in social entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Attend Board of Trustee quarterly meetings, Board of Trustee Student Affairs meetings, President's Advisory Council biannual meetings, Student Government Association monthly meetings.
- Serve on the University Policy Committee and co-chair the Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Provide quarterly Board reports of division highlights.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals of direct reports
- Ability to travel locally and long distance and work evenings and weekends.
- Responsible for other related duties as assigned.
Position Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 09/18/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Master's Degree or other advanced degree required in a related field, terminal degree preferred, plus ten years of progressively more responsible leadership experience in strategic management of student affairs programs, budgets, and personnel for strategic student affairs including best practices, outcomes, assessment and strategic planning. Higher education experience is required. Must have comprehensive student affairs experience at the leadership level and a compelling record of accomplishment in multiple areas of student affairs.
Valid driver's license with good driving record; must be insurable.
- Commitment to and appreciation of private, higher education in a student-centered learning environment.
- Commitment to embracing the mission of Stevenson University, and articulating and communicating the University's vision in a way that inspires students to engage with and participate in student affairs programs and services.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with excellent organizational and management skills to direct the daily operations of the student affairs team.
- Experience in, and commitment to: advancing retention and graduation initiatives; a comprehensive program of social engagement and integration; facilities planning and renovation/construction to support social engagement; career preparation initiatives; and unity, diversity and inclusion initiatives that support all students.
- Demonstrated analytical skills in strategic planning, research, benchmarking, budget preparation and fiscal management, and staffing and performance management.
- Superior interpersonal communications skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a variety of both internal and external constituents.
- Proven record of accomplishment building engaged student relationships, an organization builder who inspires and mentors existing talent and attracts and retains student affairs professionals.
- Demonstrated success in several areas of student affairs, including but not limited to student conduct, multicultural experience, and student activities, and working with Board members, student employees, student club leaders and volunteers.
- Demonstrated successful experience in collaborating with academic affairs.
- Experience in crisis response and assisting students in various non-standard situations.
- Ability to create a climate responsive to student concerns and interests.
- Ability to listen effectively to all points of view, build consensus on initiatives and issues.
- Must have skill in conflict resolution and mediation.
- Must have skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to make management and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Must demonstrate commitment to promoting unity, diversity and inclusion.
- Must be a hands-on and highly visible officer of the University directly engaged with students.
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Position requires keyboarding, standing and sitting, walking, talking, and hearing, repetitive motions. Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as viewing a computer terminal. Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. Should be able to work flexible hours in a fast-paced environment.
Information and Application Process Instructions
To apply visit: https://stevenson.peopleadmin.com/postings/4681
EOE/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Stevenson University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...